Chapter 11: Drowning

There were a few kids playing in the middle of the garden. They were running around, chasing after each other, and having a really good time. They seemed to be having fun. They seemed happy.

A little boy moved branches away from his hiding place so he could get a better look at the kids. But then the moving sound seemed to catch the unwanted attention of the kids.

"Who's there?" One boy, who seemed like the leader of the group, asked with a commanding voice.

The little boy was startled. He covered his mouth with a hand, stopping him from letting out any more sounds. And hoped the boys would go away.

But the other boy didn't give up.

"Are you going to come out, or do we need to drag you out?" He was really scary. The little boy pouted. Why he was so scary? Then he crawled out of his hiding spot.

"What are you doing here?"

The other boy's voice became angrier after seeing the one who came out of the bushes.

"No-Nothing."

The little boy stuttered, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. Oh, there was a huge dirty patch on his shirt. How did that happen? He was going to be scolded for that too. It was unfair. He had been careful.

"Nothing!" The same voice echoed, startling the boy once again. There was a deep scowl set on his face. "Are you saying you did nothing inside that bush?"

"I..." The little boy stuttered again. "I was just sitting."

The laugh echoed, startling him once again. It wasn't only a mean boy. His friends also joined the laughter.

"He is clearly lying."

A girl in the group pointed it out. She was also the same age as them but had a mature look.

"Yes, he is a crazy freak!" Another boy joined.

"A cursed."

"Dirty."

"Fool."

"Useless."

The little boy stared at the floor without responding. He can wait until they get tired of name-calling. Yeah, he can wait until then.

But a sudden sharp pain occurred as someone grabbed him by his long hair, forcing him to raise his head. His eyes met with molten gold ones.

"So, what do you want, freak?" a mean boy spit in his face.

His head was hurting. How he had so much strength. Weren't they both the same age? The little boy tried to break free from the grip. But he couldn't. So, he decided to answer. Maybe then they will let him go.

"I... I want to ask..." The little boy said in pain. "Can I also join your game?"

Then again, a mean laugh came out from the kids, like he had told the best joke in the world.

"You are so funny." The mean boy tightened his grip on his hair more. "Why do you think we would let a freak play with us? Go away."

The boy showed the little boy to the floor. He fell to the floor with a thud and placed his elbows so he wouldn't hit his head.

But then he felt a sting and a pain ran through his elbow.

"Let's go. This freak destroyed our whole day."

With that, all of them walked away, but not without throwing more curses at him.

After everyone disappeared from his sight, he slowly sat down and inspected his hand.