Chapter 9: Annual Crystal Gala

Trigger warnings:

• Violence

• Blood and gore

"Sir, we are here."

Noah's driver announced this as he neared the venue of the gala. Noah glanced out the tinted windows. He could see there were lots of reporters crowded outside of the hotel. He let out a frustrated sigh.

These were the times he really hated his title as queen. Unwanted attention, questions, starting. Someone would think that with time, he would have gotten used to events like this. But actually wasn't. Especially now that he had to attend alone without Jace, who could back him up.

"Listen, baby boy," Noah said to Owen, who sat beside him. "You need to listen to everything Mama says and behave like a good boy. Okay?"

"Okay, mama." Owen's answer was filled with excitement. "Can we go now?"

Noah laughed at his eager son. From the moment Owen heard he was going to attend a big party with his mama, he was over the moon. He couldn't wait to show others he was a good, big boy like his other siblings. On the other hand, other children, except sweet Esmin, threw a mini tantrum, saying they also wanted to go. Well, it wasn't mini, considering all their powers. But finally, Jace was able to bribe them with promises of fast food and run in the woods.

"Okay, we can go now."

Noah adjusted Owen's shirt and straightened up his little bow before taking Owen's little arm with his.

As soon as Noah stepped out of the car, the flashlights of the camera flashed on his face, momentarily blinding him. But soon he painted his face with a smile, smiling at everyone around him. He could see Owen hiding behind his leg, and he could understand his son suddenly started by all the lights.

Noah gently picked up Owen before he could become more startled and slowly rubbed his hand on Owen's back as guards guided them through reporters who were throwing one question after another.

"My queen, can you tell us about recent attacks?"

"My queen, why didn't you bring your youngest child?"

"Is it true about faceless attackers?"

"Is there anything new going to happen tonight?"

The question passed through him as he maintained a fake smile and waved at the crowd. He had enough experience to not answer the question. So, he pretended to not hear them as he walked on the red carpet maintaining a perfect charming smile.

Finally, Noah was able to take a breath as he reached the grand staircase entrance the crowd became thinner and flashes became less shiner. Still, he could hear the shouting behind him, but he was now away from them. He gently rubbed the back of Owen trying to assure it was okay as he carefully reached the large double doors.

"My Queen."

The guard at the door bowed to him before opening the large double door.

The warm welcoming air hit with a soft fragrance erasing the chaos outside as he entered the grand hall. He took time to catch a breath while taking the beauty of the hall.

The hall was magnificent, like every other gala, decorated elegantly. Ceilings adorned with crystal chandeliers that glistened like stars in the night sky, illuminating the hall in a mesmerizing radiance. The walls were draped with luxurious silken tapestries, enhancing the elegance of the place.

The tables were draped with pristine white tablecloths, accentuating the refined ambiance. Each table was meticulously set with gleaming silverware, and delicate glassware, ensuring that every detail was impeccable.