Now the weight of the world ain't so bad

Charlie's POV:

We finish our smoothie and both agree we want to stay and talk for a little bit. So, Nick and I head to the park nearby. By the time we get there, the sun already starts setting, thus creating this beautiful orange hue. The park we are in is quite secluded and it's empty at the moment. Since it's just Nick and I there, we let our silly sides out. We are acting like children, but we don't care in the slightest. Firstly swinging on those huge swings together and then Nick wouldn't let me get down from a seesaw! What a bully! He did put me down when I threatened to start talking about maths, though. Then, a sudden spark appears in Nick's eyes: "Oh my God, that tree would be perfect to climb on!". With swift movements he climbed on that damn tree, and is now hanging upside down from it. "How old are you?", I tease him a little bit.
"Hey, if you try it, mabye you will see how much fun it is!" Nick is unvavering.
I giggle: "No thanks".
We just kind of... look at eachother...
Not for too long though. Soon we start talking about random stuff. Nick's still swinging his feet on that damn branch.

"You know what I was thinking", he starts.

"What?"

My God, what's he gonna ask?? Declare his love for me? Admit he's killed someone?? It could be anything but I just Hope he doesn't have to go to jail.

"I saw you run the other day, you are pretty fast!"

"Oh, thanks...", so much about declaring his love for me, "what about it?"

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to join the rugby team."

"You mean... the team where almost all of the guys are my previous bullies?"

"Oh... I'm sorry... I didn't... I've been playing with them since forever, I didn't even think they would do stuff like that."

"I don't know Nick..."

"Please Charlie, we need a new member as soon as possible! And you don't have to worry about those guys, I already asked them if it's okay to invite you and they all said yes."

"Okay, but what if they start bullying me again?"

"I won't let them."

Am I blushing right now? Most probably! I'm still not sure if I want to be a rugby lad, but Nick's made it so much easier to join the team. That would also give me more time to spend with him, so maybe it's not that bad of an idea.

"Well, if you say so... maybe I'll join!"

"Oh my God, thank you Charlie! You are the best!"

I direct my look and smile to the ground. He's really happy about me joining the team. After a few moments of blushing, I hear struggling above me.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, yep, I just need to get off this tree!"

"You can't get down, can you?"

"Sure I can!"

He says as he slips his foot on a branch behind him, still holding onto the one he was sitting on earlier. I can't hold in my laughter. It's not a mean one, I just think he's so silly, it makes me laugh.

"You are a rugby player! You tackle people everyday but as soon as you come in contact with a tree, it tackles you!"

"Have you EVER seen us climbing trees in practice?!"

"Everyday is a great day to start I guess!"

"Very funny. Can you now help me get down?"

"You know what, I just remembered I have to go home to do my homework."

"Charlie!"

"Bye now!"

"Stop it! Come back! Please, help me get down!"

"Since you asked so politely."

I'm trying my hardest to hold in my laugh. A rugby lad asking a... well me to bring him down from a tree. As if he's a cat some old lady called in as an emergency case and I'm the firefighter who comes into rescue. It's sweet in a way. I climb that tree and show him step by step how to get down. He was quite scared. "I hate heights", he kept saying. It was real fun... only for me probably. We finally locked our feet on the ground.

"Remind me to never climb trees ever again!"

We both chuckle and leave the park. I can't help it but to think about him on my way home. If it weren't for Nick, who knows for how long I'd be miserable. And if it weren't for me, he would still be stuck on that damn tree.

‧₊˚༄🍂༉‧₊˚.