Now I just keep you warm

Nick's POV:

"I can't believe the power is out", Charlie burns a match and lights the candle, carefully covering it with his hand so it doesn't go out.

"Yeah, it's probably the wheather. I don't recall the last time it snowed here", I am slumped on the floor, half-sitting and supporting myself on my elbows.

"Well, we're lucky we got to warm ourselves up before it went out."

"Yeah, especially you."

"You say that as if it was my fault I was completely frozen!"

"Hey, do you really expect me to not throw you in a pile of snow? It's a TRADITION!"

"You could've done it without getting snow in my hair!"

"Well, it wouldn't be fun then!"

Char shakes his head. Having a snowball fight with him was super fun! I don't remember genuenly smiling that much in years. Now we haven't got a thing to do but just sit on the floor around this candle and contemplate our lives. Studying was out of the table hours ago, so sitting and rotting it is. We are too tired from snowfigthing to talk about anything. Heck, we were tired even after pillowfighting. But somehow, this silence doesn't feel awkward. It feels like something that comes so natural, we sit in serenity for a while. Charlie is sitting opposite me slightly hunched over as the candle flickers between us, thus creating a small circle around it. It's shining just enough so I can see his face. As I study his features, I notice a twitch of his cheeks, his eyes flinch towards the door. The sound of scratching scared him, but I'm far used to it by now. The other side of the door starts squealing and barking, I can't help it but laugh in endearment. Charlie's face is now smiling in relief. I get up and open the door to let the big floof in. Nellie first demands head pats from me, but then slowly walks over to Charlie, lays her head in his lap and exhales deeply as if she has any responsibilities in this world. Charlie doesn't think twice before petting her as if she's the most precious thing. I sit back down and enjoy the view. A smile creeps on my face as I look at them both. With it comes a familiar feeling. Something really strange, but familiar.

"Nellie is so precious", a whisper echoes from his mouth.
His gaze lifts and notices me staring. Oh my God, I was STARING. I probably shouldn't be such a creep. He awkwardly returns his face back to petting Nellie, but his focus is elsewhere. I am such a fool!
I don't know what is happening to me. I just have this overwhelming urge to... touch him? His hair just looks so... soft... and his hands are so gentle and his cheeks are now burning red, I wonder if they are warm to touch. What is going on? Everytime I look at him, or even when I'm near him, I feel strange. I have felt this before... but... I don't know. My heart starts pounding, I get out of breath everytime our hands brush against eachother. And when he tries to look me in the eyes but then immediatelly looks away, OH MY GOD! The butterflies in my stomach start WORKING!
I just want to hug him and... keep him. It sounds wierd, I know, but I don't know how else to explain it. Now the candle throws a warm orange light on his face, highlighting his soft features. His gaze is tender and relaxed but focused on petting Nellie. He is so gentle with her. I can't help it, I look at him lightly brushing trough Nellie's hair and wish I was her for a moment. What am I even thinking?? As that thought emerges, butterflies fill my stomach and a slight panic arrives. I anxiously look around me like I am searching for something to distract myself from this mess of emotions. Something's trembeling in front of me.

"Are you cold?" I ask motherly.

"Kind of...", Charlie wraps his arms around himself. An awkward smile melts on his face, just like the candle wax between us.

I stand up and find my way to my closet. The sound of hangers clacking resonates as I search in it to find the perfect one.

"Here", I walk over to him and hand him my light orange hoodie. My favourite.