Speak now!

Charlie's POV:

"So, are you comming or not?!",
Tao shrieks trough the phone.

"Yes, don't worry! Are you there already?" I laugh at his demand.

"Luckily for you, I'm not."

"Wow, that's a first", I chuckle, "I'll be there in thirty minutes."

I can feel Tao rolling his eyes in relief trough the phone.

"Yes!! Finally, I get to tell you the tea. And don't forget to bring popcorn because it's juicy!"

Everytime Tao says this, it means the tea is mediocre.

"Okay, fine! I'll meet you at the park."

"Bye!"

He hangs up. I know that's not the only reason he wants to meet. We haven't spent quality time together since the begining of school year, so it's only normal that he would make up any excuse to hang out. I felt guilty about avoiding it since it truly wasn't on purpose, so I promised to watch any movie of his choosing with him. Tao is one of the rare few who still wanted to be friends with me after I was outed. He, Aled, Isaac and Elle were there for me when no one else was, so I feel like I owe a lot to them. That's why I feel the need to overcompensate for the lost time. Still, the only thing on my mind while walking to the park is the image of Nick. Him stuck on a tree, him covered in blue, him smiling, his warm eyes, his bright laugh... Is this what it feels like missing him?? We literally went out yesterday! Oh lord...

As I walk in the park, I see my best friend already sitting on the bench. When he noticed me he stood up to greet me, jumping up and down waving his hands to catch my attention. As if I wouldn't notice that beany and two locks on the side from a mile away. I walk up to him and we hug, feels like ages have passed.

"Sit down because you need to hear this", Tao points his finger to the bench.

We both sit down, I pull out a bag of popcorn and prepare myself for what's next.

"So, the other morning there was a huge fuss in the yard, as I told you before. But I never got to tell you what had happened."

To be honest, I'm not paying attention to what he is saying as much as I should. Nick's still on my mind...

"So, I was just minding my own bussiness when I heard a loud yell from behind me followed by a BAM! I turn around to see the guy from year 11 punch another, I've never seen such a rage fit at our school. He didn't knock him out or anything, but you could actually hear the punch! It was crazy! He then stormed off into school and the punched guy just stood there in pure shock."

Now he got my attention. My eyebrows are raised, eyes wide open and mouth full of popcorn.

"What in the actual... why? Why would someone punch the guy for absolutely no reason? "

"That's what I've been wondering myself! So, then I went to Aled and he did some digging, as he always does."

"And what did he find?"

"Basically, that guy and a guy who punched him were with their friends one day. You know, 'the lads' going out. Then, they bumped into the One punch guys' parents. Soon to be punched lad decided to take this opportunity to joke about how their son is making out with guys after school. Not a good joke, but that's not the problem."

"Oh my..."

"The thing is, his parents are extremly homophobic, and, well let's just say his dad didn't take that joke well... That's why he came to school the next day and demolished him."

At this point my whole body stiffens.

"Do you... know any of the guys?"

It's even hard to mumble these words.

"I think so, because I've seen them with Harry before, ew by the way. I don't know about the guy who was punched, but the others name is... Ben I think?"

Time stops. Could it really be Ben? Tao did say his parents are homophobic so that's very likely. Is that why he was so pissed the other day and ignored me this whole time? I lost all words, they are completely gone.

"Hellooo, Earth calls Charlie!"

"What?"

"You just drifted off to Charlieland for a second."

"Oh, haha. Sorry, I was just... lost in thought."

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yep!"

His eyes are spelling 'doubt'. I know he knows I'm bluffing, but I also know that he won't push me to say anything.

"I swear to God, if any of the lads is bothering you again I will-"

"Find and hunt their families, I know."

"I was going to say I will roast the hell out of them, but yours is okay too I guess..."

"Tao, don't worry, nobody is bothering me."

"They better not be."

We both smile and the mood warms up.
Tao is a very passionate person, some might say intense. Yes, it can make him quite angry but that also makes him really compassionate. As much as he is protective, he is that much considerate and peaceful. He will tell people off, but he won't start anything. I admire him in that way since I would probably just stay quiet and let people walk all over me. To me, he is the best friend ever because he is who he is. And because he is his authentic self, I feel safe to be myself as well. The only thing he doesn't know about me is that I'm, sort of, seeing Ben. It's to protect Ben from being outed. He specifically asked me to keep quiet about us, not even my closest friends can know. So I kept this as our little secret. And besides, I don't want to bother Tao with that stuff. It's dumb anyways.

"You know it's been forever since I was at your house?"

"Ugh, I know! My mum is always asking for you: Where is Charlie? How is Charlie doing? When can I see Charlie?"

"That's actually very sweet!"

"Yes, she will be extatic when she sees you"

His mum is the absolute best! It warms my heart to hear this.

I put on my posh accent:
"So, shall we go milorde?"

"Why yes, young sir! Right after you!"

"Oh, no, no, after you!"

"The pleasure is mine!"

"No, no, the pleasure is mine, milorde!"

"The pleasure is absolutely mine, young sir!"

"Tao, let's just go."

"Okay, okay!"

"..."

"Right after you."

"TAO!"