As long as you're next to me

TW: Suicidal ideation
If you are uncomfortable with this kind of content, please skip this chapter. If not, you are welcome to stay :)

Either way,
Take care <3

~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~

Charlie's POV:

He asked me what had happened, I was too out of my mind to answer that for him. The only thing I managed to scream out was: "I don't want to see him ever again!". Tao held me in his arms as I collapsed onto him in my suffering. He held me like a newborn as I was crying and barely catching my breath. He then walked me out of the house and led me down the pavement. I don't know where we are going, I don't care anymore. I don't care about anything. As far as I'm concered, in this moment I might as well die, nothing worse could happen than what happened just half an hour ago. My blurry vision leads me to the park. I don't know if it's empty. Fuck it, I might as well be dead now, who cares if anyone hears me weep. He sits me down on a bench and places himself next to me. I look to the ground still catching my breath, he stares at me but says nothing. After I don't know how many minutes pass by, I manage to let out a sound: "Sorry...".
Tao's eyes fill with concern as he bows down to meet my eyes:
"Charlie, nothing's your fault. I'm your best friend, I'm here for you, always. You shouldn't even question it, let alone apologise for it".
I just play with my thumbs in my lap while questioning the credibility of what I've just heard. I know I've been a bad friend to him lately, but he's still so good to me. I probably shouldn't have come here. I should've left him alone, not bother.
"Charlie", Tao's voice snaps me from my thoughts, "What happened?".
I am scared of telling him anything, but he's my best friend, I feel like he deserves the truth.
"It didn't start today", my voice trembles, "but it happened today".
I told him everything. About Ben, how he treated me, what he did today, how he was abusive half of the time during our "relationship" and ignored me for the other half. How I truly loved him. How fucked up it is that I still love him even now. It's not a him thing, this is about me. He disgusts me and I never want to see him again, but I still love him. Once I love someone, it never truly goes away. Tao knows this, so he reminds me that I must distance myself from Ben as much as I possibly can and he will help me do that. Ben and I had some classes together and Tao said that he will talk to the principal to put me or him in another group. He is in the principal's drama club, so he's on their good side. It should work. I talked my way trough tears and he couldn't help but to tear up as well. Once I was done talking, he hugged me for a long time and thanked me for trusting him enough to tell him all of this. I don't know where I would be without him. Now all that is left is to thank Nick for saving me earlier. I was so agitated then that I just left him there. Oh my God, I need to apologise to him. He probably doesn't want to see or hear from me ever again. I mean, who in the world gets saved by someone and doesn't even say thank you? I hope he won't mind that much :(

"Hey, Charlie", Tao interrupts my stream of thoughts, "I know this isn't what we are talking about, but...
I would be careful around Nick Nelson if I were you".

My eyes open wide. I frown uncertain of what he'll say next:

"Why? Do you think that... he has bad intentions?"

"I don't know, I just have a feeling..."

"Of what?"

"Um, how can I put this... I am just worried about him using you to boost his ego."

Don't do this to me right now Tao. I know I haven't told him that he saved me from Ben, but Nick doesn't even look like someone who would do that. I throw myself into a hug.

"Thank you Tao, but you have nothing to worry about."

"Okay then. But if he does anything remotely bad to you, I'll write him a mean E-mail!"

"I know you Will, that's why we are best friends."

"Oh, so if I didn't have an E-mail account, you wouldn't be friends with me? Rude."

His hair wiggles around his face as he says this. We laugh for a moment before remembering why we are even here. A heavy silence lingers in the air.

"I should go home", I say quietly. Tao nods and I walk him to his house where I thank him again for crying with me.
"Don't you dare", he points his finger at me, "that's what friends are for. I am here for you and you are here for me. Nothing can get inbetween that".
We both smile, say goodbye and I head back home. As soon as I enter, I walk upstairs to my room and throw myself on the bed. I cover myself with a blanket from head to toe so I don't feel the pain of today. As I lay there scrolling on my phone not even paying attention to whatever is running on my screen, I get a notification. My battery is dead, kinda wish I was as well righ now, but no one must know. For now, I will just rot in my bed.