The garage

* The Garage. *

The sign above the huge brick structure said C and T mechanics. The wood was painted with spray paint, and as Tennessee parked, Paxton thought the handmade sign didn't fit how new, clean, and modern the garage appeared.

Getting out of the truck, Paxton stared at the three huge garage doors that were up and exposed the interior. In every stall of the place, vehicles were parked and waiting. In the first spot, up on a hydraulic lift, sat an older Ford pickup. In the next stall, with its hood open, sat a brand new bright yellow corvette. In the last work area sat an old gold-colored Buick that had seen better days. Uncle Cletus sat next to the tire on the left side of the Buick, and his head snapped up as they approached. He came to his feet as Paxton and Tennessee got out of the truck.

"Took ya long enough," the old man grumbled at Tennessee. "Did ya get the parts I asked fer? Yer slower than molasses in January."

"Quit yer belly-achin', old man." Tennessee turned to the truck and grabbed a bag out of the cab. "I got what ya wanted, but they didn't have all the bolts. I gotta go again tomorrow. They ordered it, though."

"Ah heck. I guess we can do that tomorrow then." Uncle Cletus took the plastic bag and then glanced at Paxton. "Ya wanna take yer boy home? Ya ain't need to finish the vet right now."

"I'm good here. I can stay if you have to work." Paxton entered the garage to the left of the Buick and leaned against a small round wooden table. Beyond the table piled with old magazines and newspapers, he noted a little fridge with plastic bags sitting on top. Next to that was a door with a frosted window that stated that the room was the office.

"I'm hungry." Tennessee strolled to the fridge and peeked in the bags. "We got anythin' in here? Ain't ya hungry?" he asked Paxton.

"Not really. I ate this morning. It was only you that pushed food around your plate." Paxton shook his head while Tennessee opened the fridge and pulled out a sandwich and a plastic container.

"Ginger make these? Did she bring ya peach cobbler?" Tennessee asked Cletus. "She's smitten with Cletus," Tennessee whispered to Paxton. "Ya should see her flirt with him. It's cute."

"She made all that fer the both of us, and she ain't smitten with me." Cletus turned back to the Buick. "I just help her with her car, is all, and she likes to cook."

"Sure." Tennessee chuckled between bites and then looked at Paxton. "I really should finish the vet, but I can take ya home first unless ya wanna walk. The house is just up the road about half a mile. I'm sure ya don't wanna be sittin' round here for the rest of the afternoon."

"No, really, this is fine. Get your work done." Paxton grinned. Then to his surprise, he realized that he actually did want to sit around this garage. He liked Tennessee. The sexy mountain man made him feel safe and being near him had Paxton's heart lighter. Although Paxton didn't understand the phenomenon, he still accepted the feeling. He never thought about someone the way he thought about Tennessee. It was sexual, but it also wasn't. Tennessee was so much more than his hot body and melting southern accent. The man was kind and full of patience and giving, and well... Paxton didn't know men like him existed.

"Welp, child, if yer gonna stay, then ya can help me." Uncle Cletus pointed to the Buick. "Get in the driver's seat, and when I tell ya to push on the brakes, ya push. Got it?"

"Sure." Paxton got into the car, and after a few seconds of watching him, Tennessee leaned over the corvette and started working.

Paxton wasn't sure how much time passed as he helped Cletus work on the car. He did what he considered odd things like holding the break down or pumping the pedal, but whatever he did, Cletus seemed pleased. He even muttered thanks, and that put a smile on Paxton's face. When Cletus would nod his appreciation at Paxton, Tennessee would slightly grin. Paxton decided he would work here every day if he could see Tennessee smile like that.