Chapter 17

Bai Yichen took the clothes to their bedroom. They would try them after dinner.He took chillies out and spread them on a mat.He took the mat letting it dry along with garlic leaves, mushroom and onion leaves.

Bai Yichen taught Long Mingyu to peel garlic, ginger and onion, then he minced the meat. After that he chopped the peeled red onions into smaller pieces and added them into the meat. He also added the ginger paste that Long Mingyu prepared by crushing it into a flat stone with other stone.

Then he added some salt and a pinch of turmeric. Then he added some oil and mixed it so that each scoop will have even amount of fat and lean meat.Then he covered it and left it aside to marinate.
He took some rice flour and made a dough, then he also let it sit aside.

Then he took a small hoe and started ploughing the backyard. He told Long Mingyu to remove large stones after ploughing in the field. He bowed down to remove stones but found that his fulang is sweating and it is difficult to plough the land. So he stood up, went to Bai Yichen and took the hoe from his hand. Bai Yichen was stunned then he saw Long Mingyu ploughing the field, he shook his head then started separating stones from the ploughed land.

After ploughing the backyard, Bai Yichen took a smaller hoe, separated the land into a number of rows and constructed a narrow ditch separating the rows of field.The narrow ditch would be used for irrigating the field.This is furrow irrigation method, and you have to flow the water along the ditch.

He took the red dried chillies, separated it's seeds and planted them in one row.He took garlic, cut them horizontally and planted it into the ground at shallow depth such that the cut portion is facing upwards. He planted them in rows at appropriate spacings.

Some of the ginger harvested has buds so he took them and planted them in another row. Few onions were also planted in the rows to harvest onion seeds for further planting.

For the last row, he took red fruit aka tomatoes seeds and planted them. after germination the tomato should be given support. Then he sprinkled water on each rows. Water mustn't be sprinkled too much else the seed is rotten.

All along Long Mingyu was helping Bai Yichen. If Bai Yichen was watering the land, Long Mingyu would be carrying water and if Bai Yichen created a hole in the ground then Long Mingyu will plant a seed and bury it with soil.
(A/n : this sentence became so um(⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠))

They went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. He rolled the dough into thin round sheets and used the minced meat mixture as stuffings. He gave them shape and steamed it. He told Long Mingyu to wash and boil the red fruit, then he told him to peel it.

Bai Yichen took some perilla seeds and roasted it. He crushed it into a fine texture. He repeated the process after adding cumin seeds. Then he added garlic and red chillies into it, and crushed it. He also added peeled tomatoes and crushed it. He scooped it into a bowl. This will be the dipping sauce.

After the dumplings are steamed and turn yellowish, the momo is ready to eat.
He took bowls and added the steamed momo into the bowls, he added the dipping sauce on the side, this is best eaten when it's hot.

He dipped momo into the dipping sauce and ate it in one bite.The fatty meat will just melt into the mouth, the thin cooked dough is chewy and so flavourful. The dipping sauce will add a tangy and spicy flavour to it.

They ate it and then steamed the second batch of momo, they put them into the bowl,added the dipping sauce into a small bowl,covered it and took them to Chen and Yang family for a taste.

First they went to the Chen house and let them have a taste. Everyone was amazed by this dumpling called momo, which is similar to wontons yet not similar at all. Everyone's heart felt relieved as it can be sold in town and the Chen Ge'er family will finally have an income.

Chen Amu took his hand and talked to him about being cautious in his actions when they are in the town. Uncle Chen also told them to be cautious around Yamen officials and not to offend them.

Bai Yichen told Chen Xiaobao and Chen Feiyu to meet him in the morning to go to the town for business tomorrow.They agreed to meet early in the morning.

Chen Xiaobao couldn't wait for tomorrow, he really loved eating momo. All of them laughed seeing him greedy for food.Then he went to the Yang family who lived next door.

Uncle Yang looked slightly burly than other men in the village while Yang Amu has gentle eyebrows and looks handsome. After they settled in the village everyone in the village knew one thing, Uncle Yang is afraid of his wife. He loved Yang Amu dearly like newlyweds, even though they have been married for several years and are in their mid thirties.

He asked uncle Yang to sell him 4 catties of minced meat everyday.. He paid 10 copper coins per catty of meat and paid extra 2 copper coins for grounding the meat. Uncle Yang agreed but was not willing to take any money for it.

"You are like our own little ger, we won't charge you money." Uncle Yang folded his hands over his chest. Yang Amu also persuaded him" Back then if they had agreed, you would have become our child. We are also like your parents, do you give money to your parents after they give you meat? I absolutely won't take money."

Bai Yichen was helpless, "Then I will provide money to Yang Amu and Uncle each month as filial piety."

Yang Amu and Uncle were stunned and wanted to say something but Bai Yichen saw this and said "It's responsibility for a junior to provide filial piety to his elders. Both uncle and Amu consider me as your son, your little ger and I also treat you same as my parents. The money I will provide is not payment for meat but I genuinely want to support you both."

Uncle Yang and Amu looked at each other. Yang Amu and uncle quickly hide their tears. Yang Amu stroked his head. "Little ger has grown up."

Then both husband and fulang went to their home.

Yang uncle hugged Yang Amu from the back and watched the back figures of Bai Yichen and Long Mingyu who were walking to their home.
"Our little Ge'er is happy now and he has grown up."
Uncle Yang nodded his head.

Bai Yichen was also happy, he wanted the Chen and Yang family to do well along with him. They had really treated the original owner as their own child since young and he has always believed in Karma.

Bai Yichen and Long Mingyu went home to sleep but his husband won't allow him to sleep. Bai Yichen forgot what he promised but Long Mingyu hadn't forgotten about it.
______________________________________
"Where there is Nepali, there is momo."
I am from Nepal and Momo is a Nepali dish and lifeline here in Nepal.The relationship between Nepalese and Momo is the same as nail and flesh, both inseparable from each other. I don't know more about Chinese cuisines so I chose momo and Chow mein as dishes that are similar to Chinese cuisines.

Momo is not a food but an emotion for us Nepalese. "you are not a Nepali if you don't like momo" or " where there is Nepali there is momo" these are some common sayings here in Nepal relating to momo.

Momo is eaten with dipping sauce known as achar or jhol(soup).
Momo is either eaten steamed, pan fried, deep fried, boiled or sadheko .
Chowmein on the other hand is Nepalese noodles that are sauteed with vegetables and soy sauce.

You don't need perilla to make the dipping sauce, you can simply eat with crushed tomato,garlic,cumin seeds and chillies.You can also add soyabeans if you want.
Please don't eat it with mayonnaise or tomato ketchup, it's the same thing as eating Pineapple with a pizza. I know some people like it but please don't do it.