Chapter Fourteen

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ LONDON GRAMMAR - Strong ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Have you wondered for a while, I have a feeling deep down, you're caught in the middle?

I could feel the warm sun heating the top of my head as I sat on the bleachers. I was busy with a pen in my hand, sketching costume ideas that Lexi would have to make in time for the charity Halloween event the principle signed us up for. As I drew, tendrils of my hair would fall down so I used the spare hair tie I kept around my wrist to put my long hair into a high (and probably messy) bun.

There were other students scattered around the bleachers with their friends, sleeves rolled up and enjoying the sun. On the field the lacrosse team were in groups, practising four on four pressure whilst Coach, who is possibly the scariest man alive, screamed his lungs out at the boys. Each one of them had taken off their shirts and were sweating like crazy. I directed my attention back to the details of the zombie mask until it was diverted again when I heard a husky British accent.

"I wouldn't want that zombie to come to my house asking for sweets," Zack joked, his wide smile reaching his eyes.

I couldn't help but think about how nice Zack looked today. He was wearing a red checked shirt which he had rolled up to his elbows and some black skinny jeans. Although it was a pretty average looking outfit, he looked hot.

"Hey, Zack No-Middle-Name Burns," I laughed, scooting over so that he knew I wanted him to sit next to me.

"Hello, Grace Elizabeth Quinne." Taking the seat next to me, Zack sat with his elbows resting on his knees and playing with his fingers.

"Should I be worried that you're going to cancel our second date because of all my competition," he grinned, acknowledging the group of shirtless guys running around on the field.

I shook my head, "No, I'm not interested in any shirtless guys, unless it's you of course," I winked.

I smiled at the fact that the tips of his ears had turned slightly pink as he looked at the ground shyly with a small grin.

"Well, I can't deny that hearing you say that makes me happy."

We sat silently for a few minutes listening to my pencil scratching the paper and the shouting of the team on the field.

"Anyway, why are you out here alone?" Zack asked.

"Aaron drove me to school today which means that I have to wait for practise to finish so we can head home together," I sighed.

"They are very committed to lacrosse here aren't they," he observed. Zack was watching every single move that was made on the field. In fact, he was so drawn in the game that he hadn't noticed that I had been observing him myself. He stared straight ahead with a longing in his eyes, muscles slightly tensing and flexing as he thought about what routine should have been performed. I felt my anger spike in my stomach as I thought about how it was simply the arrogance of Jace and my brother that had prevented Zack of doing something that he clearly loved.

"You should be on that field with them, not sitting here in the stands with me," I said through gritted teeth.

Running his hands through his light chocolate brown hair, I could see Zack holding back his frustration. "I've tried Grace, but the captains seem adamant on keeping me out of the team."

"You have to let me talk to them. If it wasn't for me, you would already be on the team."

Zack reached over and carefully plucked the pencil out of my fingers. He exhaled his breath and took my hand between both of his. "I don't want you to be caught in the middle of this."