Chapter Three

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ THE 1975 - Girls ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

One moment I was tearing off your blouse, Now you're living in my house. What happened to just messing around?

When my first day of school was finally over, I had to stop myself from running down the hall. Since I had no idea how I got to school this morning, I waited for Lexi outside so we could catch a ride with Aaron. I have to admit, I was impressed that my jackass brother got me to school and into a different bed without waking me up once. I made a mental note to ask him about it later.

"Let's go, I'm already sick of this place," Lexi shouted, running down the steps of our school.

We headed towards the parking lot and to the spot that Aaron always parked his red BMW. My brother and I both had expensive cars which was a perk of our father working for a car company. It wasn't anything unusual, it was normal for this town for people flaunting their flashy cars and Prada handbags – we were the hub of consumerism. We admittedly had a big house just like everyone else but it was the smallest in our neighbourhood and our parents always made sure that we worked for everything that we had. We were constantly told that 'money doesn't buy happiness and modesty doesn't hurt'.

When we were younger it was a weekly occurrence to have a dinner party at our place or Jace's. Our mothers found a shared love in cooking, baking and all things kitchen so they decided to open up a bakery on the quiet side of town. More and more people started to find out so they decided to open up a couple of franchises in and around most of the cities surrounding us. Their stores were becoming a customer favourite and appeared in cities faster than you could say Mississippi. Unlike Lexi's parents, they refused to travel for work unless it was absolutely necessary. Our Mom's hated being away from us so they made sure that most of their work was taken home with them.

Lexi and I made our way to Aaron's favourite parking spot – Under the shade of an oak tree so the sun didn't ruin his paint job and only a few rows from the front of the school so that he could get to school late and not have to worry about working his way through the car park maze to get to class before the bell rang. I almost puked when I saw Aaron leaning against the hood of his car, sucking faces with the one and only Bridget.

"God that's gross, have you got a spoon that I could use to gouge my eyes out?" Lexi grimaced.

"I don't know about you but I'm not waiting around for Aaron." I walked around towards the passenger door and reached over to honk the horn, effectively breaking up the match of tonsil hockey happening in front of us.

My brother leant down to stare at Lexi and I through the window, his eyebrows raised. We glared back in response and I pulled over the seatbelt, getting comfortable against the leather seats of his car. I watched as Aaron said a few things to Bridget before she fluttered her eyelashes and strutted away to her own car.

"Somebody's on their period," he taunted, getting into the driver's seat and slightly adjusting the rear-view mirror.

"Hurry up you whore," I said.

"Whore? That's a new one. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?"

I glared at him again whilst studying his face. As we grew older, the difference in our faces became stronger. Aaron had a darker tan than I, but that could have been to do with all the extra time he spent outdoors practising lacrosse. A coarse stubble had grown across his jaw which I was glad that I didn't have but we still had our mother's eyes. Even though Jace had grown to be taller, Aaron had more muscle but they both had similar Ivy League crew cuts, Aaron's was just a little shaggier.

I could hear the hit of concern that was hiding behind the joke in Aaron's voice. He wanted to know if I was mad about what had happened in the morning. He quickly looked over because I hadn't replied and I gave him a warm smile. I couldn't be mad because of those damn rules we had made when we were younger and he had pulled off the prank so well.