Chapter Six

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ YOU ME AT SIX - Liquid Confidence ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

If one can drink can make tonight slip your mind then you, should drink up so you can convince yourself that I'm cute.

With a stunned expression on my face I turned to face Zack. It took a second before he grabbed hold of my hand and led me away from the closet that Jace and Rosie were still behind.

When we got downstairs, Zack led me to the back door and into the forest surrounding the cabin. It had just reached a little past midnight meaning that it was dark outside and a pathway of lights had lit up the way to the decking that looked out on the lake.

As we reached the edge of the decking, Zack lay down placing his head in my lap so that he could look up into the blank sky. I kicked off my shoes and let my feet skim the edge of the water. The vibrations of the bass from the party caused small ripples to form on the surface of the lake and the moonlight lit up the sky.

Zack cleared his throat and broke the silence. "So is anything going on between you and the closet guy?"

It took all my will not to laugh in his face. "Me and Jace? No way in hell! We can barely stand to be in a small vicinity of each other."

"Oh," Zack paused. "Because it looked like you were freaking out in there."

"I'm just shocked at Rosie, she isn't the type of girl you would see fooling around at a party with some guy. I just don't want her to get hurt."

And it was true. I knew what Jace was like and it was not good news. I didn't want Rosie to be played with and thrown out like a broken doll. Every girl that has ever been with Jace describes him like a drug - everything is warm and fuzzy until you've had your share and overdose.

"I'm sure she'll be ok. Everyone has their crazy moment at a party, maybe this one is hers." His chocolate brown eyes were studying the features of my face and I couldn't stop the warmth that spread across my cheeks.

We sat in a comfortable silence and I thought of his reassuring words. They had helped me to relax but it also reminded me that Scott was having a crazy moment of his own at this particular moment in time.

"I should go and see where Scott is before he jumps off a roof. I'm not going to let him make a fool of himself." I placed my hands on the ground to lever myself up but I felt long, warm fingers wrap around my wrist. A heavy breath escaped my lips as I became very aware that Zack could probably feel the increase in my pulse.

"Stay with me," he suggested.

"But what about Scott?"

"Daniel will look for him, he isn't that drunk. You should let him handle Scott and relax," he shrugged. Looking up, he flashed me a pearly white smile as he saw my decision crumble under the persuasion of his.

"I'm risking Scott's dignity for this so there better be a good reason why you want me to stay," I teased lightly, settling back onto the deck.

"I do have a reason - you intrigue me," he drawled, gazing upwards at me.

"Believe me, there is nothing 'intriguing' about me. I'm just an average person, well me and Lexi try to think we are anyway," I laughed.

"I am yet to meet this Lexi people are talking about, she sounds interesting."

"She's my best friend, the interesting part of my life. I was young when I met her and I might sound stupid when I say this but when she moved to Westwood, everything was amplified by a million and by everything, I mean everything. We grew up together and it's like we are practically the same person. It's kinda hard to understand..." I trailed off like an idiot.