Chapter Four

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ IMAGINE DRAGONS - Tiptoe ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hey yeah, don't let 'em know we're coming, Hey yeah, tiptoe higher. Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low, Hey yeah, tiptoe higher.

"Lexi," I whispered shaking her softly.

"No, Pythagoras is to find the hypotenuse," she murmured in her sleep.

"Lexi," I shook her again.

"Leave me alone, Pythagoras," she swatted me away.

"Lexi!" I shouted as quiet as I could to wake her up. "We haven't got much time!" She sat up in the bed, confused to why I was shaking her awake at 3 O'clock in the morning.

"It's go time." I gestured towards the bottles of green food colouring that I had looted from the kitchen. Her eyes widened, realising what I was trying to do. I handed her a bottle as she quietly got out of bed and tiptoed towards the door.

We both tip-toed across the hall and I signalled for her to follow me into Aarons room. His bedroom was a mess. We may be twins but he certainly didn't inherit the cleanliness gene from our mother. Stepping around the clothes and books that littered the floor we made our way to his bed. Quietly, I handed the bottle of food colouring over to Lexi, signalling for her to pour a drop - it would be more than enough to get the job done.

Lexi unscrewed the bottle and I slowly pried Aaron's mouth open. Thank God I'm not the only deep sleeper in this house. As she carefully tipped the bottle to pour a drop, a cat squealed outside, making us both jump. When I looked down at my brother, my eyes widened. Lexi must have lost control of her hand because the food colouring dripped over Aaron's teeth and lips. I shoved my fist into my mouth to force back the eruption of laughter that almost left my lungs. On the other hand, Lexi had frozen into place. As quick as I could, I grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back out into the hall.

"Oh my God! What have I done! Aaron is going to freak tomorrow, I don't want to be there when he does," she said, trying to talk quietly so the rest of the house wouldn't wake up.

"I'd feel bad, but after the bed, he deserves some good payback. We'll just have to head to school before they realise we have attempted to recreate Picasso on their faces."

Lexi nodded in agreement and we made our way to the guest room at the end of the hallway. We opened the door and entered what was pretty much Jace's room. His laptop was set out on the desk that looked out on the garden, next to a small stack of papers. He had stuck up a few pictures that he had taken on his Polaroid camera. Jace did go home, but he spent enough time at my house to claim a room for himself.

When I looked over to see Jace sprawled in his bed, my breath caught in my throat. He lay on his right side with one leg slung over the blanket. He was in a wife beater and a pair of boxers and his hair was messily covering his forehead. The moonlight had shined in through the window, highlighting his face and defining his cheekbones. He was stunning. Wait. What?

I shook my head to rid myself of the stupid thought, I think I'm going mad.

"You're not crazy to think he's beautiful you know, I mean just look at him. How the hell does he look like a model in his sleep?! I mean why can't I look that good?" Lexi whispered in my ear, staring at Jace with her head cocked slightly to the side. Of course she could tell that I was admiring Jace.

"Lexi, you look fine when you sleep."

"Thanks for lying," she replied sarcastically. With that she poured the remains of the dye into Jace's mouth.