Chapter Four

"Maleficent. Y/N!"

She once again looks defeated, and turns around to walk away. She startles when he hears a thud behind her. Turning around, she sees them both there.

"So, how is life with the humans?" Y/N spits out. She hurt her best friend, and tore a friendship from her. She wouldn't afford any kindness.

"Maleficent,Y/N, I've come to warn you. They mean to kill you."

This takes them both aback. She was gone for so long, and now she comes out here all this way to warn them? Could everything be repaired?

"King Henry will stop at nothing. Please, you have to trust me."

Y/N's gaze softens, and Maleficent smiles.

They spoke of many things, and the years faded away.

They sat once again by the edge of the stream, and laughed over many things. They had their old friend back. Eventually Y/N excused herself, claiming tiredness.

And they forgave Stefana her folly and her ambition, and all was as it had been long ago.

"You thirsty?"

Stefana offers Maleficent a drink, and he takes it, smiling to himself at the second chance. After a couple minutes, he was slumped over on the ground, and Stefana leaned over him.

"Maleficent?"

Shaking him a bit, she made sure he was asleep before she grabbed a dagger. She held it over him, but looking down, found herself unable to kill the boy who had shown her so much kindness all those years ago.

She relaxes, and sighs. Putting the dagger away, she finds a chain, and a new idea sparks as she pulls it taunt.

_____

The day is brighter, and Y/N wakes in her little nest. She lowers herself down from where it rests in a tree, and makes her way to where she last saw Maleficent and Stefana. She walks slowly, knowing she was going to see something she didn't like.

All these years, Maleficent was still not over Stefana. Y/N knew this, but it didn't feel any better than when they were children. As an adult, it was easier to get over her own feelings, especially for her best friend.

She would do anything for him, even if it meant swallowing her own feelings, and watching as he moved on with someone else in his life.

Approaching the stream, she sees Maleficent laying there, asleep. He looks so peaceful. She looks around for Stefana, but cannot spot her. Something was wrong. After everything that Stefana had said, why would she just leave?

Focusing back onto Maleficent, she finally saw. His wings.

She drops to her knees, and reaches out. Her fingers hover just above his back, scared to wake him and put him in pain.

"No. No, no."

It was a poor job of removal. It was clearly done in a hurry, and with metal. Nothing else could have left these burns on his back.

She pulls her hand back when he starts to move. Instantly she knows how much pain he feels when he tenses up. She touches his shoulder, just above his wings in comfort.

In touching another, she feels the pain of them. She knows this and still moves her hand up to the back of his neck. The second her hand touches, she yanks it back, unable to fathom the extreme amount of pain.

Maleficent, fully conscious now, pushes himself up just enough to look up at Y/N. She leans down even farther, whispering meaningless apologies.

His face contorts, and his hand reaches over his shoulder, hitting just above the stumps on his back. Gasping, he pushes himself up even farther, and Y/N comes even closer, so there are only inches separating them.

His hand falling down, Maleficent starts to cry, and reaches for Y/N for comfort. She doesn't hesitate to hug him, being mindful of his back. She brings her legs around so he is half laying, half leaning on her. His hand reaches up to her hair and tangles in it, bringing their skin back into contact.

He pressed his face into her neck, and there wasn't any possibility that Y/N was not feeling his pain. Clenching her jaw, she held on tighter, and the only sign of pain was her tears.

No shame came over them when Maleficent started to scream and wail. Rocking him back and forth, Y/N knew this was a combination of her friend's physical pain, and the heartache he felt. She felt the betrayal deep down as well, since Stefana was her friend.

Just outside the Moors, Stefana stood in her cloak. She was by a cart that had a drape over it. The regret was clear on her face, but what was done was done. She brought the hood further over her face, and turned her back to the screams of pain.

____