Chapter Five

Throwing the wings onto the foot of the bed, Stefana glared at the king. It jostles him awake, and he stares at her, wide-eyed.

"What is this?"

"I have avenged you, sire."

The king looks down at the carefully wrapped wings, and back up at the shy girl in front of him who he remembers only lighting his candles and fluffing his pillows.

"You have vanquished them? Both of them?"

She bows her head, impatient for her reward, but unwilling to show her hand so soon.

"You have done well, my girl. You have done what others feared to do."

Stefana lifts her head then, smiling slightly at the praise. Her eyes brighten at the king's next words.

"You shall be greatly rewarded."

Once again bowing her head, she looks the king in the eyes and grins.

"I shall do my best to be a worthy successor, Your Majesty."

_____

Maleficent struggled to stand. Y/N reached out to help him stand, but he snatched it away.

"I will not put you in any more pain."

She goes to argue, but Maleficent pulls himself up before she can, grabbing a stick and using his magic to grow it.

Using this now staff, he takes a small step forward. Unsure of where he is to go now that he can no longer protect the Moors, he makes his way on autopilot, with Y/N following him wordlessly.

Eventually, through the pain, he no longer struggles, and they reach an abandoned and ruined castle. There were pieces of the ceiling missing, and it wasn't huge, but it was where Maleficent, and therefore Y/N had decided to settle.

They sat there for what felt like hours. No words were spoken. There was no need. Y/N understood his pain, both mental and physical. And Maleficent understood Y/N's loyalty, and was silently grateful for it.

Looking out what was once a doorway, they watch as a crow lands on the balcony. Y/N just stares, wondering how the world was still moving when their's seemed to have stopped.

Maleficent on the other hand was just annoyed at the interrupted solitude he shared with Y/N. He blew towards the crow, and his magic nudged the crow just enough to get it flapping away. While it flew, its size and ability sparked an idea in his head.

_____

A scarecrow blows in the wind, settled high above the crops it guards.

The same crow is now stuck beneath a net. Its flapping wings no longer worked in its favor. A farmer laughs at its demise, knowing the pest will no longer bother him or his dog, which stands beside him.

"I've got you!"

He moves over to grab his club, intent on ending it once and for all. Maleficent and Y/N, who still walks by his side despite her wings, watch as the bird is about to come to an end. At the last possible second, Y/N looks over at Maleficent as he uses his magic to turn the bird into a man.

"Into a man."

The farmer, scared of the dark magic clearly occurring, runs off with the dog, who is also very confused. As the bird grows larger, the flapping ceases, as arms take its place.

Realizing he can take the net off, he throws it off and stands. Observing his new situation, he stands up straighter as Maleficent and Y/N approach him, unfazed by his nakedness.

"What have you done to my beautiful self?"

"Would you rather I let them beat you to death?" Maleficent questions calmly.

Looking back down at himself, he thinks it over for a couple of seconds.

"I'm not certain."

"Stop complaining. He saved your life." Y/N intejects from behind him.

He whirls, then once again fixes his posture.

"Forgive me." Y/N nods at this, her facial expression never changing.

"What do we call you?" Maleficent brings the attention back to him, getting impatient with the exchange.

"Diaval. And in return for saving my life, I am your servant." He looks behind him at Y/N with the most genuine look on his face.

"Whatever you need."

"I need you to be my spy."