Chapter Twenty

Stefana was dead. Maleficent had killed her.

He would have thought Aurora would have been upset, but she took one look at his face and didn't say a word. She just hugged him.

It was a new feeling. The wings that wrapped around them out of natural instinct.

It was almost as if he had never parted with them. That was how familiar they were to him.

Aurora looked up on him, taking him in, wings and all.

"He wasn't my father. You are."

He took in a shaky breath and felt a relief he didn't know he was waiting for. Because it was true.

This was his daughter. He had raised her, either from the shadows, or in the sun for the past few weeks.

"And I'm really happy that I got to see these."

They both laughed, and watched as he stretched his wings out.

He didn't process how they felt as he was flying, but thinking on it now, it was the best feeling in the world. He felt whole again. This piece of himself that had been missing for the past 17 years.

He didn't know how he had survived without them for so long. How ....

Y/N.

Aurora seemed to remember her at the same time.

"Mother. She was in the dungeons. I saw her when the curse was leading me. I remember her trying to reach out and stip me, but she couldn't get out. The bars were hurting her."

Iron.

Stefana really had been prepared for this day. She had taken Y/N, and she had made sure that she would keep her here. She knew that Maleficent was coming, and that she would need weapons.

"Show me."

They were on the move, faster than anything else. All of the twists and turns that they had to take, all of the stairs.

The longer it took to get there the more Melficent thought of what he was going to say to her.

They had left things on bad terms. He had told her that he didn't ebleve in love. Not just that, but true love,

After everything that had happened, he knew things were different, but how to express that. And what exactly did he have to express?

He knew that love was not only real, but important as well. That the trust that comes with that love is the best feeling in the world. Even on top of breaking through teh clouds as the sun is setting.

He had taken it all for granted for so many years.

All of the pain that he had put her through, and the way he had been so withdrawn. She was the one person that had always been there for him, not matter what was happening.

She stopped flying for him, for crying out loud. She walked everywhere with him. He couldn't remember the last time he noticed her wings twitch, knowing full well they itched to hurl themselves into the open air.

She loved him. Probably had for years. He hadn't seen it, but she did. It's why it had hurt her so much when he had told her that true love didn't exist.

How had she stomached the moments he would steak away with Stefana? Neither of them wer stupid, she was aware of what they did.

But she had never shown it, never complained.

As the walls around them changed the closer they got, he wondered what their lives would have been like had Stefana not come into their lives. Or if Maleficent had realized how they had both felt when they were younger, and he had made a move.

His thoughts halted. How they felt?

That moment was all it took for him to realize. He loved her. He was in love with her.

Looking in front of him, at the girl leading him farther down, he knew he could never bring himself to fully regret everything that had happened.

Because it had led to right now. He was with his daughter, who was awake and healthy, and he was being led to the women he loved.

The only terrifying thing about the immediate future was her reaction. She had stayed for so long, but would she still feel the same? He had gotten her mixed up in all of this, and he had gotten her captured.

Would she forgive him? For all the lost moments and the time gone? That pang of loss that he had only just recently felt was probably something she lived with for years.

He had no time to ponder any further as they turned down a corridor, and lining his right side were bars.

There were about a dozen cells. She wasn't in the first few, but when they reached hers, he knew.

He would know those wings anywhere. He grew up with her, and he had never seen her so broken before.

She was on the ground, hugging herself. She was making herself so small that her wings overlapped around her.

She shivered, and he felt compelled to help warm her up in any way that he could.

Even with this, he stood stock still. He could barely breathe. He had not seen her for the past 24 hours. They never spent that long apart, even when he would go off on his own, needing the time alone.

"Mother?"

The word broke him out of his trance, and as Y/N looked up, his eyes started searching for a lock, or a latch or anything that could open these stupid bars.

She had been crying. Her eyes were red and swollen. Her nose was red as well.

He finally found the lock, and without hesitation, he filtered his magic through it, unlocking it within seconds.

He slipped through the door that slowly creaked open, and felt the rion graze his wings. He paid it no mind as he knelt down and embraced her for the first time in forever.

She stiffened at first, but soon enough melted into it.

He felt the burning at his legs before he looked down, and stared in horror. Iron shackles.

From the looks of the burns on her ankles, they had been on for as long as they had been apart.

HIs magic, now a beautiful gold, wrapped around those hideous shackles, and broke them apart. He brushed them back with the back of hand, but didn't notice the bite of pain.

Wrapping his arms around her, he helped her stand, and she leaned heavily on him as he made his way to Aurora.

When Y/N realized who was truly in front of her, she let out a sob, and embraced Aurora.

It was a tearful reunion, and it hadn't even been too long. But never again would they be separated. They were a family, and they would live in peace and quiet from here on out.

Y/N leaned back, getting a better look at Aurora's face. She moved some of her hair back, and laughed through her tears.

"Let's go home."