Chapter Nineteen

Everything was lost. There was nothing else to fight for. She didn't know where Maleficent was, or how he was feeling once the curse had been done.

There was no concept of time. She didn't even see them bring Aurora back this way. There must have been another path for them to take.

She was shackled by her feet. The iron burned her ankles, but she had grown numb to the constant pain. There was no escaping this place.

Sitting there on the ground, her knees pulled to her chest, she spread her wings out around her and enclosed them around her.

She remembered doing exercises with them sometimes when Maleficent wanted to be alone. It was always an effort to stretch them out and move them exactly how she wanted to.

And now, because of everything, she would never be able to use them again. She was going to be stuck here forever, never seeing the sky again.

She would never see Maleficent again, or Diaval, or Aurora.

Aurora.

The guilt was eating away at her, knowing that she would never again awaken.

She really had thought that perhaps that boy was tha answer. It was the kind of atmosphere she could sometimes recall her and Maleficent once shared.

Oh, to remember her childhood. When she would soar into the clouds, Maleficent was never far behind. Before Stefana, and before the huge curiosity about humans.

When their days were still filled with simple things, like picking flowers, and watching the sun go down.

She was reminded of that when Aurora came around a lot more. When the future of having Aurora with them became something she wanted with her entire being.

Tears started leaking from her eyes, and sobs overtook her body. Her shoulders shook, and she barely contained the sounds inside her chest.

Aurora was so kind and pure of heart. She deserved the world, and here she was, sleeping somewhere in this castle forever.

Y/N's head dropped onto her knees, and her arms tighten around her legs, as if she could pull her entire body in on itself.

Eventually the tears stopped, but she didn't pick up her head. She stayed like this for hours, or what felt like it.

That was when the entire cell shook.

________

Her wings lowered slightly when it felt as if the entire castle was shaking. There was chaos, noise that she could barely hear.

It was coming from the upper levels. There was no way for her to get out of this cell and figure out what was really happening, but she had an idea.

Maleficent was here.

He had to know that Aurora was asleep. There was no way he didn't feel the magic shoot through the air. Why was he here then? To end it all with Stefana?

That was exactly what she wanted. It was all a trap. And Y/N was sitting here, useless in a dungeon.

Looking down to her feet with a renewed sense of determination, she gripped the iron shackles around her ankles and felt her fingers burn. She would get out of this one way or another.

She had to.

She twisted it around, looking for some kind of lock, or maybe even a seam where it could have been welded shut.

She was unconscious when they brought her in, so she didn't know how they had put these things on her, but there had to be some way.

Stefana wouldn't have wanted it to be easy and simple, but she wouldn't have made it impossible. In order to get her out of here with enough time for Stefana to play with her, she knew it couldn't have been too complicated.

Not noticing anything right away, Y/N only noticed the sound when it had stopped. The roaring that was in the background, and the absence of metal clanking around. She had thought they were soldiers running around, doing their mistress's bidding.

Why had they stopped now? Why had the loud roaring, the sound that had seemed as if whoever it was, was fighting back with everything they had.

"No." She whispered.

The battle above was done. There was a victor, and nothing she could do now would change anything.

Her hands fall away from the iron circles, and hit the floor with an empty thud. Everything about her, even her wings, seem to go limp.

Crumbling into herself, she takes what are possibly her last moments of peace, and she remembers the first day she knew she liked Maleficent.

It was right before they met Stefana. Not even a week before actually.

She had had an idea before, but it was set in stone when they had spent all day together, and had been spent that night together. Most of the time, they went to their own trees, and that was where they stayed.

But that night, they had been exhausted, and the sun had been down for almost an hour.

Maleficent had pushed her into a pond and she was soaked to the bone. He brought her to his tree, which was nothing new, but then he had helped her dry off using his magic.

She remembered the moment she had shivered, and how Maleficent had given her a hug for a solid two seconds before he flew off for a blanket, wanting her to be the warmest she could be.

She had thought that she had felt a flicker of emotion that she never had before from him. Something that felt so close to her own. And before he had come back, she knew.

She knew that she would follow him anywhere he wanted. She would stay by his side, and that they would forever be friends.

And now, as she shivered from a different kind of cold, she wished that life had been different.

She wished that Stefana had never walked into their lives, but then cursed herself, because she wouldn't trade Aurora, and the moments they had, for anything.

Next, she wished that she had had the courage to tell Maleficent when she had the chance how she felt about him. She had always had a talent for non verbal dismissal, but she had never said it out loud.

She most certainly didn't tell Stefana, and maybe that should have told her something other than that she was a third wheel.

She wished that she could have just a few more moments with Aurora, even if it was for five minutes.

She would tell the girl that she loved her, and that it was her deepest regret that she put her into this danger. That over the past couple of days, their relationship, and how Y/N saw it, was completely different.

Again, she was a coward for not saying it aloud, but she almost felt as if she was Aurora's....

"Mother?"