Untitled Part 15

Maleficent's wings basked in the light from the window behind them. Stuck these past years in the cage of a box, but seen through the glass by the thief herself.

While she was not present at the moment, the wings could feel the taunting they were soon to get. The victory that was shoved at them every day, for hours on end.

Except this time, they could feel something else. They could feel a connection. Their past owner.

It was something that hadn't been felt in years. Gratitude. Longing.

And in a fit of passion, or maybe it was mere desperation...

They started to move.

It was ever so slightly. Not even enough to see it, if you weren't truly looking. But it was there. A slight awakening within them. Something was coming, and soon enough...

They would be free.

_______

Queen Stefana woke in the middle of the night, covered in sweat.

In a fit of a nightmare, she also felt the awakening. Something was telling her that her time was drawing near, and that she needed to be prepared.

"He's coming. They're coming."

_____

Splashing water onto a sleeping man, he awoke suddenly. Instantly coming to attention when he saw his Queen before him, he held his hat to his chest, not daring to look her in the eye despite her coming closer.

"Where are your workers?"

She questions the man with an intensity that shows how out of her mind she is. Having ordered so many workers into jobs had been seen as a blessing, but now..

There was a difference between giving jobs and overworking slaves.

"In their beds, Majesty."

She walks past him, observing the progress, but also seeing the potential in a breach of defenses.

This would not do. Surely with her incompetent workers and soldiers, as well as Y/N being able to fly, and Maleficent's magic...

It wasn't enough. There wasn't enough time.

"Get them back to work without delay."

She continued walking, with the man following her in shock. She couldn't possibly mean...

"They're exhausted, Majesty. But I'll have them back to work at first light."

He said this thinking it would appease them. Not knowing the inner workings of a mad mind.

She turns, and in her effort to remain graceful as the queen she speaks gently still.

"I need them back to work now."

"It's the wee hours." The worker makes his last attempt at having his queen see reason. There was already a rumor going around of her losing her mind, and he didn't have a plan to be on the receiving end of it.

"Aye. Aye, it is the wee hours."

She holds her hand out, just short of touching him. She nods along with him, and her face hardens ever so slightly to show that she is still the Queen, and what she says, goes.

"So wake them up."

"Majesty?"

Her patience snaps, and she pushes him back with the outstretched hand. It was enough of a surprise that he hit the railing, and she took the advantage it was.

"So wake them up, and get them back to work now!"

She shakes him in her desperate attempt at getting things back into order. This was the only way. There had to be more of a defense.

"We are running out of time. Go! Now!"

The worker runs off, getting ready to alert his already tired men that there was more work to be done.

By order of the Queen.