Chapter Thirteen

As Aurora slept, Maleficent stood over her. He had brought her back, making sure that the fairies were none the wiser about where she had been.

Having tucked her in, he saw her innocent look while she was sleeping. Every once in a while, he would catch Y/N taking a nap, and it was the same look of calm.

They both always looked as if nothing would ever hurt them in life. That there would always be something there to protect them.

Thinking of Y/N and protection, he realized something.

If someone had done what he did to Aurora to Y/N, there would not have been any hesitancy. He would end them. He would do all he could to break the curse, and make sure that she was ok.

That same feeling was starting to worm its way into his heart when it came to Aurora. And here they were, so close to the dreaded day, and he was letting her sleep unaware.

Gently lifting his hand, he started a chant that gradually get louder as he channeled more magic into it.

"I revoke the curse! Let it be no more."

He whispers. He gets louder, his hands getting higher, the gold magic getting intense.

"I revoke the curse! Let it be no more."

The desperation in his voice could not be described. This was the only way there could be another path to take. He had to fix his mistakes. Starting with Aurora.

"I revoke my curse! Let it be no more!"

The golden magic fights the green, which clots above Aurora, showing the source of her curse. The house shakes from the magic, but wakes no one.

"I revoke my curse! Let it be no more!"

In one last attempt, he flicks the magic onto Aurora, who still lays sleeping.

"Let it be no more!"

A green sphere of magic explodes, and the curse remains on Aurora. Maleficent looks with heartbroken disappointment as the magic settles, and is answered the question in his head. Why didn't it work?

"This curse will last till the end of time. No power on Earth can change it."

The voice echoes throughout the room, and he looks on the verge of tears at his own words.

"No power on Earth can change it."

The one thing that could have changed everything, and he failed.

The only other solution was not possible. True Love.

There was no such thing. It was the main reason he had done so. Stefana had played with his heart with such false words, and there was no going back.