Chapter Twelve

Leaning over the pond of water, Aurora watches as the glowing fairies dance. It was a beautiful show, and they were extremely happy to be performing again. For an audience no less.

Aurora was so happy to watch them. This was her wildest dream. To be in the Moors, and to see the creatures first hand that she had only heard about in stories.

Maleficent watched from a couple of feet away. This was something that he had never seen coming. It was crazy to him that there was a human now in the Moors. It was crazier to him still that it was his once childhood friend's child.

They looked nothing alike. While Aurora was fair haired and kind, Stefana was dark haired and always had a gleam in her eye. As if nothing was ever enough when there was more to give.

He should have seen the signs. They were obvious now as he saw someone who was truly kind and open hearted. It made the guilt that he was fighting to push down any longer. There were certain truths he could no longer hide from himself when it came to the path he chose.

Not only had he taken away the life of an innocent, he had also dragged Y/N down the same path. He had forced her to stay with him, to feel what he had felt. She watched as he hurt others, and cursed a child.

She was sitting closer to the water, essentially in between Aurora and him.

Seeing her for the first time in what feels like forever, he watched as she seemed more relaxed than she had in years. She leaned forward, pointing something out to Aurora, and in doing so, her cloak shifted just enough that he saw her wings underneath.

The small smile that had made it to his face slides off, and it suddenly hits him how much he has actually done to her.

He never forced her, but he knew she hadn't flown since that day. They have both been stuck on the ground. Hers was a choice, of course, but it was because of him either way.

How had he come so far? He had been protector of the Moors, along with Y/N. They had their own routine, outside of Stefana, and right before she had come back...

There was a moment that something was different. He couldn't lie to himself. Not anymore. Things had been changing before that fateful day.

He had finally been moving on, and deciding that he needed to be grateful for what he had. He remembered thinking about it before he had heard the call of his name from a voice he hadn't heard in years.

He was going to do something about it that day. If Stefana hadn't come then, or if she had better intentions, or if he just wasn't so stupid...

If.

So many choices had led to this.

For the first time, Y/N's head was clear. She was happier than she had been in years. She was watching something she hadn't seen since her adolescent years, and it was bringing back so many memories. Her mind never stayed clear for long of course.

When she wasn't worried about a child, or another person's feelings, or even protecting the Moors.

She was just a child when all of that went away, and she remembered spending her days lounging around.

She can also remember the day she met Maleficent. It was a sunny day. Too sunny for something so tragic to happen.

She was wandering around, not knowing where she was going. She couldn't remember where she was coming from either. Nothing made sense anymore.

She knew she had parents, but they were gone. She didn't know where, but somehow she knew they weren't coming back. The most she can remember is someone telling her to leave. To run, and make it out.