Chapter Seventeen

A man was riding his horse down the path in the woods. He was terribly lost, and had no idea where to turn next.

Coming upon a stream, he hopped off his horse and let him have some water. There was no point in continuing on and overworking his animal if he had no idea where he was going.

Sighing, he tightens the saddle on his horse, ready to be on his way again, when he hears someone start talking.

"Aunties, I'm almost 16. I need to have a life of my own."

He looks at her from a distance, and watches as she paces back and forth in her imaginary conversation.

"No, I love you very much, but it's time to say goodbye."

He comes closer, standing behind a tree, his curiosity getting the better of him. He wanted to know who this girl was, and why she was in the woods.

"You've been very good to me, except the time you accidentally fed me spiders."

Smiling at this turn of conversation, he makes his way down, not wishing to spy anymore, but to be known. When he makes his way down, he startles the girl.

"Hello."

He begins talking in his best attempt to show her he means no harm. He merely wanted to become acquainted. And to ask for directions.

"I'm very sorry to bother you, but I'm on my way to Queen Stefena's castle and I've become hopelessly lost."

He takes a step forward, as she is inching back.

"Can you help me?"

In a state of surprise, the girl falls down, startling the boy, and causing him to rush in aid.

"I'm sorry. That was my fault. I rushed in too..."

He becomes speechless when her beauty comes apparent, and he is struck dumb as she stares at him, now back to standing.

She pulls her hands away from his, and the air turns awkward.

"Forgive me." He makes a small bow of politeness, and takes another step back, not wishing for her to become any more uncomfortable.

"It's that way." She points in a direction, but he is still unfocused, wondering about his luck at how he could have encountered someone so beautiful.

"The castle." This brings him back to his mission, and what he was there for. It amazed him how easily he was able to forget about the rest of the world when he was looking into her eyes.

He smiles at her, even though he feels a tinge of sadness because soon their interaction will come to an end. He had only just met her, and yet he felt drawn to her like no other person he had ever met.

"What's your name?"

"Philip."

She lets a small smile grace her face, and bows her head slightly during her greeting to the man who was now no longer a stranger.

"Hello, Philip."

"What's yours?"

Feeling hesitant, she answers her name in a smaller voice, feeling unsure about the person in front of her, but always wanting to believe the best in people. Clearly fate had been kind to her, bringing her the most wonderful godparents, and her aunties. It wouldn't be cruel now.

"Hello, Aurora." He also does a mock bow, feeling the childish nature of their exchange, but being happy about it nonetheless.

They smile at each other for a few moments longer before he speaks again, knowing that he should be on his way to the castle now that he has directions.