Chapter Eight

Maleficent sits on his throne with Diaval perched beside his hand. Y/N, stationed in her usual spot, but this time with her hand on his neck, feeling the joy and content from knowing that their plan was in the works. She could feel every twisted thought, and it was slowly breaking her apart.

She kept to her vow, knowing she would follow him and his actions to wherever it would lead them, but it doesn't mean it wasn't fracturing her soul.  She didn't know it at the time, but she had lost two friends that day.  And had gained what seemed more and more like a master.

_______

Queen Stefana ordered her men to seize every spinning wheel in the kingdom.

She gave the orders to her men, not wasting any time.  The torment was clear on her face, just as Maleficent had intended it.

The wheels were broken and burned, that they might never be used, and thrown into the deepest dungeon in the castle.

Tens of hundreds of wagons were driven down a dirt path, collecting dust and spinning wheels in the hopes that there was another answer to the curse besides true love's kiss.

Secretly, she entrusted the safety of the child to the magic of the pixies, who would take her to a remote hideaway for 16 years and a day.

Handing the baby off to the fairies, they struggled but managed to bring her to their mode of transportation, another wagon.  They made a long journey along the Moors, and settled in a cottage that was remote enough that she would be well provided for, but away from the human eye.

Stefana shut herself behind the walls of her castle while her soldiers rode far and wide to hunt Maleficent and his servant down.

Maleficent stands alone, using his magic to raise a wall of thorny branches, ensuring there would be no unwelcome visitors again.

But he made walls of his own, that the Moors might never suffer the touch of any human.

The same heartbreaking scene can be seen.  Maleficent on his throne, laughing at the disappearance he has caused. Y/N, now with her hand on his, standing there like a stone statue.  No emotion could be seen on her face, as she was being overwhelmed by his.

Diaval was there too, listening and regretting.  He would do anything for his Master, but his heart broke for his Mistress. He was there when she found the wall.  There was a specific flower she had liked to pick in the human lands.  Something Maleficent had not calculated was not only did the wall keep the humans out, it also kept the Moor folk in.

The fairies began their charge to raise little Aurora in the woods.

The three fairies drove the wagon as little fairies, and they stayed that way as they brought the babe over to stump in the yard.  Here they dropped her in her basket, taking a stretch.

"No!  Is this it?"

There was clear despair on two of the fairies' faces, while the other had clear resolution.  At least one would decide to be the responsible one.

"Looks dreadful."

Knotgrass flew ahead a little, and turned to look back at the fairies she was to spend the next 16 years and a day with.

"Come on."  She goes to move the baby inside, but the other two don't join in.

"We need a smaller baby."

"Or bigger bodies."

Knotgrass once again sternly looks at the other two, wondering how she was put in this position with them. 

"No, what we need is a proper disguise." 

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we have to blend in, don't we? We have to be big enough to look after this baby."

She looked at them, and waited for them to all nod in agreement before beckoning them over to her.  Once they were closer, she counted down, and they all transformed into human sized versions of themselves.

"Now, there will be no questions asked. We are no longer fairies. We are three peasant women raising our orphan child in the woods. Yes. So, no more flying."

"No more flying?"  A commotion starts to be raised by the other fairies. It was the base of who they were.  Flying, and doing things like magic.

"Yes, and no magic."

If a commotion started, this was an uproar.  They bicker as they enter the house, forgetting the baby outside.  It was a good minute of waiting before the blond faire came back out, absentmindedly blaming the baby for hiding from them.