Chapter Eleven

Queen Stefana, paler and smaller than ever before, was sitting in a chair. She seemed sickly, and only the barely filtered moonlight showed the eyebags on her face.

"You mock me."

She looks up, and the crazed look on her eyes is enough to tell the story of the past 15 years. There has been little sleep, little eaten, little else thought of but the revenge against Y/N and Maleficent.

They ruined her life. She had everything she could have possibly wanted, and she had the most beautiful daughter. She missed everything. All because of those fairies. Those fairies that she had once been kind to. They cared about nothing but themselves.

She should have gutted them both when she had the chance. She knew where Y/N's nest was. She could have easily climbed that tree after taking care of Maleficent and ended everything then and there.

She knew this too. There was no taking just one of them. The other would always seek more revenge than before for the death of their friend. Well, she knew it was more. She could read it on Y/N's face when they were children. It was obvious.

"I know what you are doing."

She would have to kill them both. It was the only way out of this mess. Then everything would be as it was. Ending them would end the curse, she was sure of it. It was the only thing that made sense. The only way out she could possibly think of.

She knew the wording of the curse was done on purpose. That there was no such thing as True Love's kiss. It was a dig at her. A mockery at her once strong feelings for the faire.

She would show them. She would capture them, and hurt them, and burn them. She would burn them all with iron fists.

"I know exactly what you are doing." The door behind Stafana opens, and knight, ever cautious, approaches his queen.

"Sire? Your presence is being requested by the King."

She barely takes a moment's consideration before throwing this information away, focusing back on her plans.

"Leave me."

It would be slow and painful. Taking these wings was not enough. And to think of the guilt she felt when she heard him cry out. And the comfort from Y/N, with her powers of knowing exactly how one feels. She actually felt bad then. Now she delights in the memory of her enemy, knowing....

"Sire he is not well. The nurses are fearful that he won't make it through the night."

She again did not take any of this in. There was no more room in her mad head for anything else. She brought a finger to her lips, and ever so gently shushed the knight.

"Can you not see we are having a conversation?"

The knight leaves his queen, his worst fears confirmed. His king was dying, and his queen had gone mad. His only hope was of the princess' return, safe and sound, having fully conquered the curse on her own.

Stefana is left alone, and in a glass case, there sits a magnificent set of black wings. They flutter ever so slightly.

She stands, and approaches them.

"When the curse fails, Maleficent will come for me. Him and his whore of a fairie. On that day, I'll be ready."