Chapter Sixteen

Another Moors creature, this time one that can float gracefully around, approached Aurora. She hesitated only slightly, before reaching out and laying her palm on what she thought was its head.

What appeared to be its eyes closed and she smiled at this.

The Moors had become a brighter place once more. The creatures were laughing and smiling again, and the sun shone down on them.

It was a sight to behold, especially for those who remembered the time when it was like this all the time. Before the gloom had taken hold, along with fear of their ruler.

Said ruler was sitting off to the side, watching as Aurora smiled at everything and everyone. He was amazed that it was such a huge thing for her. The place he had grown up, and he had taken its wonder for granted.

He also noticed the new brightness. The fear that was rescinding from everyone. It was no secret. Aurora made this place better.

Y/N walked beside Maleficent's resting place, and sat next to him. Closer than she had ever dared to in years, but not close enough to touch.

He had not initiated another moment like the one they had, but it was still painfully obvious that there was more to be said. Aurora was over so much that there was hardly any time during the day, and Y/N grew tired into the night before such a topic could be broached.

Looking over at Y/N, he knew the choices he had to make. It was his best way forward. Changing the fate of those he cared about depended on him changing himself for the better.

"Aurora." Maleficent called out, turning his head towards the girl.

"Come here."

She dutifully ran over, wanting nothing more than to spend more time with her godparents. It pleased her beyond belief when she pleased them, and coming over seemed to do the trick every day.

That was how she had come to her decision. The decision she was soon going to tell them.

"There's something I need to tell you."

Y/N stared at Maleficent, as she often found herself doing. She knew where he was going with this, and was trying to figure out if she was ready for this.

While it was his choice to tell her, since it was his actions, she was still a part of it. It scared her a little. Aurora learns the truth and never comes back.

While it's not the same, it would remind her greatly of what happened with Stefana. She saw her as a friend, and when she had left, it had killed her.

When she had come back, she knew something was off, but her jealousy took control, and she left them alone. She had stayed up for at least an hour, wondering what was going to happen between the two of them.

What a stupid thing to have been thinking.

"What is it?"

"There is an evil in this world, and I can not keep you from it."

Aurora relaxes, as she was most scared of what he was going to say. There was not much that worried him, or Y/N for that matter, so while she knew it was important, she also knew everything would be OK.

"I'm almost 16, Godfather. I can take care of myself."

"I understand. But that is not what I have to-"

"I have a plan." Aurora interrupts him in her excitement, feeling her plan was far more important than anything she knew she could handle.

"When I'm older, I'm going live here, in the Moors, with you. That way we can all look after each other."

Y/N's face brightens, then drops in a matter of seconds. There would not be a time when she got older. And if there was, it would certainly not be spent with them.

"You don't have to wait until you're older."

Y/N's eyes snap to Maleficent, and she immediately understands where he is going with this. The solution he was trying to present.

"He's right. You can live here now."

Aurora looks between her Godparents, and smiles in excitement. She lets loose a small giggle, and gets up.

"Then I will. I'll sleep in a tree, and eat berries and black nuts, and all the Fair people will be my friends."

She hops a couple of feet away, and feels as if she can see her entire future right in front of her.

Maleficent goes to stand with his cane, and struggles a little. Y/N puts her hand out, almost out of habit. He looks down at her hand, and before she can move it away, he takes it. He brings himself up, and keeps hold of her hand.

It felt as if they were kids again. When he was happy, she made sure she was just as happy by just taking hold of his hand.

"I'll be happy here for the rest of my life."

She turned back, and her smile was the widest they had ever seen it. To know that this is what made her truly happy, it made everything else seem manageable.

"I'm going to tell my aunties tomorrow."

Maleficent nods, not having much else to say. He knew this solution was a reach at best, but for some reason, but couldn't not try anymore.

"Until tomorrow."