Chapter Fourteen

Maleficent stands watching Aurora, like always, from a distance. He stands alone, but not for long.

Soon enough, Y/N joins him. She stands there, as always, and watches from a distance as well.

She has seen something that has been changing in him. She hasn't dared speak of it, not even with Diaval, who has also been seeing these changes.

It amazes her that the child, who has grown so much, has been the one to change his heart. And she is also glad of it. She has tried so hard to be OK with the things that Maleficent wants, but part of it has been draining her.

She has always wanted what he has, but ever since meeting Stefana, it has always seemed like it was something different then what she would have chosen for herself.

The fascination with the humans, the protectiveness of the Moors, seem to be the only things they had in common. But she never minded it. Until that day.

That was when everything had started to change. It was the day her feet were stuck to the ground.

She always pinched herself when she started feeling sorry for the fact that she hadn't flown in over a decade. She made that choice. She chose it for Maleficent, who had the decision ripped away from him.

She was so lost in her own thoughts, that she didn't even notice Maleficent taking a step closer. He knew she was inside her own head, and took this opportunity for what it was.

He slipped his hand into hers.

The contact was so foreign, so new, that she flinched. Not out of fear or pain, but surprise.

It had been years since this had happened. Everything came back to that fateful day.

Maleficent gripped her hand, as if to keep her there. It wasn't necessary, as Y/N was flooded with emotion. She was too shocked to even think about moving.

She felt the regret at first. Almost next to each other was the guilt and the sadness. And then, longing for something different.

She had trouble figuring out the emotions, and it had been so long since she had used her magic, so they stood in silence for a few minutes. There was no change around them, as everyone else kept putting on a show for an oblivious Aurora.

Without realizing it, Y/N started crying. It was such a simple gesture. Just holding her hand. But it was so much more than that. He was opening up.

She had been so hurt when he pulled away from her. She knew why. At first it was because of the pain he felt, He had said so. It was because he had wanted to keep it to himself, and not burden her with any more than she needed.

And then it became distant. There were moments when he would ask her to rest her hand on his shoulder.

At first she had thought that it was because of the fact that he had finally wanted to open up and show her what he was feeling. Then she realized she didn't want to know. It was twisted and broken inside of him

Then, the last time he had asked this task of her, something had changed. It was barely there, but it was there.

He had almost felt.. Lonely. As if nothing here was actually what he wanted. His face didn't show it, but her powers had never been wrong before.

And now there they were, with their hands intertwined, as she finally felt him. Everything was different.

She felt rather than saw the disappointment, and without being told, she could tell that he had tried to reverse everything. And the failure that had insured it.

Aurora looked back from where she was crouching down, and stood up. Making her way back from where she was, she approached Maleficent and Y/N, still completely unaware of what was being communicated between the two.

Meeting her in the middle, they start walking down a path as Aurora jumps into a barrage of questions.

"Do all the Fair people have wings?"

"Most do."

"Like Y/N?"

Maleficent pauses in his response, knowing this was going to come up sooner or later with her curious mind. Y/N was next to Maleficent, no longer holding hands, but closer than they had been in years.

She made sure that her wings weren't dragging on the ground, but that was all she was willing to do when it came to her wings.

"No. Not everyone did."

"Then why don't you? All the other fairies fly."

Y/N looked at Maleficent, knowing that this was his story to tell. He was the one being asked, and if this was something he was finally ready to share, then it was something that she was willing to let him discover on his own.

"I had wings once. They were stolen from me."

Y/N was pulled back to that day. When she had slowly walked over to where she knew they would be, because she was scared of what she would find.

She thinks sometimes, that if she had just gotten over herself, she might have been able to stop Stefana from taking Maleficent's wings. She was only a couple of minutes too late.

She was dragging her feet, and part of her blamed herself because of it. She had never told Maleficent, and she never would. He didn't need to know that she was more affected by this than he ever realized.

"That's all I wish to say about it."

It was huge progress. They had never once talked about that day. They had moved on like normal, and then once they had Diaval finding information for them, it became a new plan of vengeance.

There was no real talk about the loss he had suffered. Both in his heart and his wings. And in another way, his trust.

"What color were they?" Aurora pushes, wanting to know more about the people who raised her.

"Were they big? Bigger than Y/N's?"

"So big they dragged behind me as I walked. And they were strong. They could carry me above the clouds and into the headwinds."

He smiled at Aurora, and the memories she had brought back to him. He had not thought about being high in the sky for a long time.

"And they never faltered, not even once. I could trust them."

Aurora smiled as well, and looked over at Y/N.

"Can yours do that as well?"

"They did, for a time. I don't fly much these days."

Y/N walks forward, past Maleficent and Aurora, wanting to be alone if even just for a moment. Maleficent looked after he, and once again felt the guilt of everything he had accidentally caused.

It was his own fault that she hadn't flown in so long. There were specific reasons, all of which she used to choose the path she was on now.

Aurora saw the sadness in Maleficent's eyes, and touched his arm. He was startled, because for the longest time, the only person he allowed to touch him ws Y/N. And even then, he made sure that it wasn't often. He was scared of the emotions he might see that he didn't even know about himself.

He walked forward as well, following a couple of feet behind Y/N. Aurora was unsure of why this was such a sore spot, but she knew that it was something that they would talk about eventually.