ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ɴᴏᴛᴇ

thank you for reading happier than ever

✼ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴇɴᴛꜱ ✼

𝐈. character notes

𝐈𝐈. questions

𝐈𝐈𝐈. new book! / goodbye and thank you

𝐈. character notes

before each story, i write character profiles to help myself build up the storyline/ personalities and stuff, and i always like sharing them in the ending author's note because they're a bit like a prologue that explains the characters.

ˑ༄ؘ ۪۪۫۫ ▹karl

karl is 17.

karl is diagnosed with depression and is on medication for it. he refuses the doctor's advice for therapy. he also has an undiagnosed eating disorder until the events that occur during the book.

karl's dad left before he was born, and the older man's absence has never really affected him. his childhood and school life were very good which is why his mom, elena, struggles to grasp the concept of his mental illnesses.

his mother is sweet, but she thinks that teens exaggerate their feelings to be trendy/different, because 'everyone has mental illnesses nowadays'. because of this, she arguably doesn't offer karl as much support as she could despite his diagnosis.

this changes after the events of the book when she realises the severity of her son's problems.

karl identifies as pansexual.

karl has an older sibling, elix, who came out as non-binary when karl was only 6, so it's really all he has ever known.

elix cares about karl more than they would admit but, like any sibling, they like to make jokes. karl made his mom promise not to tell elix about karl's mh, so the older sibling often makes jokes that they wouldn't had they been more educated. they don't understand the effect of what they are saying.

elix's fiancé, adam, also has not been told about karl's mh. however, he used to suffer from bulimia, and so he sees all the signs in karl and is able to make educated guesses.

ˑ༄ؘ ۪۪۫۫ ▹sapnap

sapnap is 17 and identifies as gay.

he used to identify as bisexual but came to terms with the fact that he just used that label because it felt safer after meeting karl.

sapnap is a diagnosed insomniac but he doesn't take his prescription meds because they make him lethargic, tired throughout the day, and, he says, sad. this can have negative effects on his everyday life, but he doesn't care. still, he is tired a lot.

sapnap also has a tendency to be late to things.

sapnap is dating karl and knows all about his mh and tries his hardest to help whenever he can.

sapnap never used to care about school until recently, when karl encouraged him to genuinely try, so now he has to put a lot more work in to try and catch up with everyone else.

sapnap's parents had a divorce when he was 5 and he still sees and loves them both. he has lived with his mom and stepdad since he was 8.

sapnap stopped seeing his dad in person when he came out as gay. the older man didn't disown him, but he clearly didn't approve and their conversations are all awkward and forced now.