36

"Max, you can't ignore me forever." Anna told him as she stood across the table from the Dutch man who had his laptop open in front of him.

It was now the following day and by the time Anna came home last night Max was asleep in the spare room so she left him there, although he wasn't really asleep he just had his back to the door and was awake thinking of life.

Without saying anything, Max spun the laptop around to face his girlfriend to allow her to see what was on the screen.

Anna took a moment and leant across the back of the chair she was standing in front of to read what he was trying to show her.

"Max no. Absolutely not." Anna shook her head as she reached the end of the email.

What Anna had just read was Max's letter of resignation addressed to Christian and Adrian stating why he was doing it and had no problem paying the team to get out of his contract.

"It's my decision Anna." Max spoke to his girlfriend for the first time since he had found out the news of her illness yesterday.

"No it's not. You can't give up your dream, your life for me. What about the championship?" Anna wondered out loud.

"The team will still get the constructors and Checo is second so they'll still the be drivers too. They'll just bring in someone to replace me for the rest of the year and find a permanent drive for next year when the time comes." Max explained rationally as if this was all he had been thinking about.

"Max listen to me. You're. not. giving. up. your. job." Anna told him dragging out the second sentence as she walked around the table so she was stood next to her boyfriend.

"Anna-."

"No. You're gonna listen to me. I know I should've told you. I accept that. And I am so, so sorry about how you found out. But listen to me. Formula one is your dream. Your life. You've worked your ass off to get there. And you're not about to give it up on the off chance that this disease kills me." The brown haired girl explained as she grabbed his face so he was looking at her the whole time she was talking.

"First of all. Formula One isn't my life. You're my life Anna. And if I lost my seat tomorrow I would forever be grateful for what I've achieved already. With you. On track and off track." Max told her as he did the same thing she was doing, placed his hand on her face.

"That's sweet. But you're not gonna distract me from the fact you wanna give up your seat for me." Anna replied with a soft smile.

"I wanna be here for you. Through all of this. Not on the other side of the world alone." The F1 driver spoke up.

"My doctor is so confident I'm gonna beat this Max. Like crazy confident. I'm not going anywhere. Except to Azerbaijan with you next week. Because you are not sending that email." Anna said before she leant up and placed her lips on his quickly and softly.

"Anna." Max spoke, not knowing what else to say.

"Please. Don't send that email. I'm gonna be fine. We're gonna be fine. I'm gonna live a long and happy life with you, so much that you'll be sick of me by the time we're 40." Anna told him and Max smiled.

"Okay. But I'm not leaving your side when I'm home or at a race weekend." The Red bull driver whispered.

"You gonna have Adrian fit a side pot seat for me?" Anna asked with a smile.

"Ha, ha very funny. You know what I meant." Max told her and she laughed.

"I know." Anna spoke before kissing him again.

—————

A week later the couple and the Formula One world were now in Azerbaijan and Anna had managed to keep her illness sick from everyone including the media.

Naturally she had told both her family and Max's last week. And Max has asked her permission to let Christian know incase anything happened and of course Anna agreed.

Anna had two treatments so far as she needed it once a week. They wanted to be as aggressive as possible for the first couple of months to try and kill the cancer cells as early as possible.

Her doctor had promised that if the chemo started working and her team felt it acceptable, they may be able to reduce it to every 2 or 3 weeks making going to race weekends a lot easier.

The pair entered the paddock together on Friday for free practice with their hands tightly connected and Max refusing the let Anna out of his sight when he wasn't in the car on track.

They arrived at the hospitality building and had lunch together before it was time for Max to head over to the garage for FP1.

Max held Anna's hand the whole way from his driver's room until it was time for him to get into the car.

The reigning world champion left the garage as directed by his lead mechanic and headed for the traffic.

Anna took a seat in the viewing area of the garage and placed her headphones on just in time to hear a familiar voice come through them.

"Max?" Anna spoke into the small microphone as she brought it down near her mouth.

"Hey Anna." Max replied while she watched him driving around on the track.

Anna had been coming to Max's races since they were kids and had sat in the Red Bulk garage for each of his races since making it to Formula One- and this was the first time he had spoken directly to her through the radio.

"What are you doing?" Anna wondered as she looked around the garage to see if anyone else could hear their conversation.

"If I can't be with you when I'm in the car, I at least wanna know I can talk to you when ever I want and make sure you're okay."

Anna simply smiled at her boyfriend's words and was close to shredding a tear. She knew they were going to be okay- whatever happened, everything was gonna be okay.

—————

Hi guys! Took me so long to write this because I really didn't know what to do for Max's reaction to the whole thing but here it is.

Honestly don't know where to go next so any ideas would be appreciated!

Please let me know what you think x