iv. Breathless.

chapter four

season one.

"I'M CALLING IT OFF

"I'M CALLING IT OFF." John B declares, turning around to face his friends. Kie is tapping her hands against a set of bongo drums, JJ is perched on the edge of a wooden table throwing rocks, and Pope appears to be engrossed in a book.

They all look up.

"Peterkin said if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help us with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ stares at him incredulously.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ."

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." The blond throws another stone with much more force.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." John B repeats, "It's not just me I've gotta think about here, man."

JJ's lips purse. He momentarily looks at the doorway, aware of the girl snoring inside.

"It doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun." The brunet adds.

"You know what I should've done, man?" JJ states, "I should've just let Topper drown your ass."

"Yeah. Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it."

"Funny." John B scoffs.

"I mean have you looked in the mirror?"

"Come on. Tell me some more, come on."

The blond stands from his seat, stalking closer to the group and leaning his arm against the wooden porch.

"They always win don't they, man? Kooks versus Pogues." His expression twists into one of frustration. "They always, always win. Goddamn!" Throwing his arms in the air, he turns away.

"Look, it's okay!" Kiara exclaims.

"No it's not okay! It is not. They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there," He thrusts a finger at his battered and bruised best friend, "and you know it."

John B doesn't speak.

"I know you do. And I understand why you don't wanna go," JJ's gaze flickers down to Pope. "You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you—" It moves over to Kie. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck anyway. Why would you bother?"