xvi. Skeeter.

chapter sixteen

season one.

THE CONTINUATION OF THE NIGHT after that was a blur

THE CONTINUATION OF THE NIGHT after that was a blur. The last thing Judy remembers is seeing her brother get towed away into the back of an ambulance on a stretcher. The rest is foggy. Very, very foggy. There's a kaleidoscope of fragment memories bobbing around in her head. Riding alongside Sarah Cameron, white lights, fighting and failing to maintain the frantic pacing of her heartbeat, the sensation of her head feeling as though it was about to explode. And then nothing.

Well, that is until she wakes up in a clinical bed of her own, which is confusing, because she definitely hadn't fallen from the Hawk's Nest. A head of dirty blond was sprawled out in the armchair by her side, and she wasn't expecting it to be Rafe.

"Apparently you blacked out," He'd said. "My dad called me. He and Sarah are with your brother right now. He hasn't woken up, yet."

"But... he's okay?" Her voice quivered.

Rafe sighed through his nostrils. "Yeah. He's okay."

And an immediate weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Which led her attention down to the cannula in the back of her hand.

"I don't— I don't understand. I'm fine, why am I—?"

"The doctor took some blood samples, and you had an emergency chest x-ray. We're just waitin' for the results. The IV was to calm you down." The Kook explained, still clad in his Midsummers clothing, minus the bow-tie and a few top buttons. The stained material had dried into a large, pinkish patch from his stomach to his thighs.

Judy nodded, still processing it all. Most of all, she was surprised to see him actually there, by her side despite her embarrassing him at the party that night.

"You can go home now, if you wanna."

He lifted his chin up from his palm. "What?"

"I don't expect you to stay."

"I know we aren't on the best of terms right now, but it doesn't mean I don't care about you, Bambi."

She raised a brow. "Even after—?"

"Yep."

"Damn." Her back sunk into the cushioned bed. "For the record, I'm still mad at you."

"Surprise, surprise."

"Shut up."

"No. You shut up." Rafe retorted.