x. Almost is Never Enough.

chapter ten

season one.

"I HAVE TO ADMIT," Kiara starts

"I HAVE TO ADMIT," Kiara starts. "I wasn't expecting Judy Brie Routledge to come to me for fashion advice — never mind for a date."

Judy, walking beside her, smuggles an embarrassed groan behind her hands. She had, in fact, turned up on the Carrera doorstep hoping to borrow something for her date with Rafe this evening. Though, of course, Kie insisted on taking her shopping for something new — her treat, seeing as Jude can't exactly afford to treat herself.

"Are you really not going to tell me who it's with?"

"That's not important."

"It must be important if you are going shopping." Kie winks, gently bumping into her shoulder.

Judy recalls what her brother had said yesterday, about her not being an expert in the love department. And he's right. She's not. She's only seen love in the movies, where the pretty girl wears a pretty dress to a first date. Therefore, she's simply following the obvious fictional guidelines, even if it isn't her.

Besides, Rafe is a Kook. She's the one residing on the wrong side of the tracks. She shouldn't care this much, but she doesn't want to embarrass him.

"You can't tell the others," Judy's eyes burn into the side of her head, "they wouldn't get it."

"I mean, listen, they may be dense dummies most of the time, but care an awful lot." says Kiara. "Give them some credit."

"I know that." Judy admits. "But this is my... first ever date. I just don't want them to pry."

"I get it, don't worry."

The duo slow down and push the door open to a small boutique. A bell chimes above their heads and an old lady is standing behind the cash register with a tape measure slung loosely around her neck.

"Hey, Marjorie!"

"Hello, dear!" She smiles fondly at the younger girl. "I wasn't expecting to see you today."

"Yeah, well, my friend here needs an outfit for her date tonight." Kiara splays a hand against Judy's back, who awkwardly smiles with a timid wave.

"I'm the friend with the date."

"Oh, how wonderful!" Marj beams like a Cheshire Cat. "I'm sure you'll find something perfect here. What did you have in mind?"