xxvii. Heart Made of Glass.

chapter twenty seven

season one.

"JUST HERE

"JUST HERE." JJ POINTS to the warehouse that looks familiar to him, as Kiara manoeuvres the SUV and reverses it up towards the entryway.

The trio hop out of the vehicle and commence with their plan, footsteps echoing against the tall, surrounding walls. The blond scurries ahead of the two girls, approaching a cloaked boat.

"There she is. Hey, girl." He coos, peeling off the cover to reveal the one and only Phantom. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom. The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours, ladies." Excited blue eyes flit in their direction. "Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

Judy can't contain the adoring smile taking over her face. He looks so cute, and excitable. Genuine, adolescent wonder in the form of bright twinkly irises.

"It's kind of a junker." Kie comments, causing his head to snap around with a look of utter offence.

"Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you. Let's just put it this way — you would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

"Ignore her," Judy tiptoes over to the boat and gently traces her fingertips along the side. "I think it's cool."

"Thank you!" Bouncing gratefully, JJ lays a chaste kiss on the crown of her head, with a lingering hand sitting comfortably on her waist.

"I just hope it runs." Kiara shrugs.

"Oh, no, she'll run all right. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got." Slinking away from Judy's side, JJ tends to the boat as a motorcycle sounds from outside.

"Pope! Finally." Kiara exhales, and moves around the boat to meet him halfway.

But before she can do so, a different figure appears, telling her that it was, in fact, not Pope who had just pulled up. But Rafe.

"Hey, there." He greets, progressing towards them in long, prey-like strides. "What's goin' on?" He jumps up onto the boat. "How you guys doin'?"

His voice captures Judy's attention, and suddenly she's back on that runway, watching Peterkin get shot to death at the hands of him. The memory cools her blood down to minus degrees.

A whistle sounds from over their shoulders, and as both she and JJ turn around, they see Barry appearing from around the front of their SUV, grinning manically.