xiv. Dancing With Our Hands Tied.

chapter fourteen

season one.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE ACTUALLY DOING THIS

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE ACTUALLY DOING THIS." Judy exhales an exasperated groan, lying belly down on Kiara's bed while she's stood gawking at her appearance in the mirror.

Her dark curly hair is pinned up, decorated with an extravagant flower crown and shorter ringlets running down the sides of her face. A sleek, pale purple gown with spaghetti straps almost hits the floor as she twists and turns in disgust.

"Same." says Kie, tracing her palms down the silk material. "I look like a bourgeoisie pig."

She's insisted that Judy goes with her as her plus one, so she can look after her properly like JJ had told her to. And honestly, Judy can't be bothered with an over the top, unnecessary party full of rich pricks and snobby teenagers.

She just wants to know that her brother is okay, and if JJ is okay. They're all that matter to her right now. But no, instead she's attending an annual Kook ball.

"People like us don't have power or running water, yet the hierarchy of Figure Eight just insist on throwing a jamboree." Judy rolls her eyes with annoyance.

"So tone deaf, dude." Kiara spins around, holding her hands up like she's wearing something atrociously disgusting. When, realistically, she looks beautiful. In Judy's eyes, anyway.

"Is it really necessary that I go too?" Said girl grumbles, performing a sausage-roll manoeuvre off the side of the bed. She lands clumsily on her feet and rounds one of the wooden posts.

"Are you actually insinuating that I should go to this thing alone?" Kiara plants her hands on her hips.

"Um, Kie, your parents —"

"Shut up, they don't count."

"Right, right." Humming, Judy gasps and flicks her finger at the cluster of purple flowers surrounding her friend's head.

Kie flinches back. "What? What?"

"Just checking for bees." Judy grins.

"Ha ha ha."

"Are you girls almost ready?" Anna Carrera strides in, heels clicking, wearing a bright yellow dress with her hair swooped over one shoulder, and matching flowers clipped around the other side.