vii. Redfield.

chapter seven

season one.

THE TWINKIE HAS BEEN parked outside Redfield Lighthouse for the last five minutes

THE TWINKIE HAS BEEN parked outside Redfield Lighthouse for the last five minutes. John B and Kiara assigned themselves the job of following the lead, while his sister, Pope and JJ all wait outside on lookout.

The car door is open, and Judy is sat on the ledge with her legs crossed, plucking tiny shards of straw out of her scabbed knee. The two boys toss a ball to one another in a comfortable silence.

Yawning, the female shifts her body further into the twinkie, moving around to curl up in one of the seats. Her eyes droop shut, and fatigue consumes her. Who knows how long this is gonna take, she's just gonna rest her eyes for a few minutes.

Pope notices her looking dead to the world, shuffling the ball between his palms before throwing it again to his friend.

"How's she doing?" He chooses to make conversation while he's basically alone with his friend.

JJ briefly glances over his shoulder, eyes softening. He throws the ball.

"Better now, I think."

"You two seem... close."

"What do you mean?" He chuckles, awkwardly.

"Nothing, nothing." Pope hums, quickly. "I just mean you care a lot about her."

"Course," The blond shrugs, nonchalantly. "She's John B's sister."

"That doesn't mean you had to hold her hair back while she was spilling her guts up," His friend implies, launching the ball forward. "Or... buy her that necklace."

JJ catches it with one hand. An eyebrow raises, "What'cha gettin' at, Po?"

"Look, I understand why you wouldn't wanna say anything in front of the others, but JB isn't here right now, dude. If you like her, you can tell me."

"What?" The ball practically leaps out of his hand and he loses his balance trying to catch it.

Pope bites back a snort, "I'm just putting it out there."

"We're just friends, man." JJ drags a hand down his flustered face.

"All right! If you say so."

"Well, yeah, I do say so."

"Okay."

"All right."