xxxii. The Pogues Who Cried Wolf.

chapter thirty two

season two.

"LOOK, IT WAS RIGHT HERE

"LOOK, IT WAS RIGHT HERE. AND THIS IS WHERE THAT MANIAC CLAIMED HIS NEXT VICTIM. RIGHT THERE." Kiara points to the empty spot on the floor of the construction site where Gavin's body was laying right before the cops had arrived.

Except now the cops are here, and so are they, and there's no body. Which means they look really fucking stupid.

"Uh huh, his next victim?" Shoupe stands in front of them, notepad in hand, entertaining them for the sake of it being his job. "How long ago did you say it happened?"

"Like forty-five minutes ago, Shoupe." JJ huffs.

"Okay." He writes something down, and then clicks his pen. "And so, Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him? Execution style? Then... cleaned it all up in forty-five minutes?"

"Yeah."

"Obviously."

"We filmed the entire thing." Kie tells him, and Judy rolls her eyes.

He raises his brows. "You filmed it?"

"Yes! But we can't show it to you because I stepped on JJ's hand, and then he kicked Pope, and then Pope dropped the camera cause it's a piece of shit, and it broke."

"Officer, this is a telephoto, and we needed it to get a long distance image, and... and... well, you know, I fell and it broke. So the video is basically unusable." Pope stammers, rather embarrassed.

"Are we all just going to pretend that there isn't one person to blame for that?" The harsh words fall out of Jude's mouth before she can stop them. They eye her, quizzically. She knows she should stop, but she's just so angry. So she turns to Kie. "If you hadn't opened your fat mouth in the first place, we'd still have the evidence."

She stumbles, taken aback. "Excuse me? How'd you figure that out?"

"We were discrete. Everything went to plan until you—" Judy bites her lip. "We wouldn't have had to rush away if you hadn't kicked up a fuss. You wouldn't have stepped on Jay's hand, and Jay wouldn't have kicked Pope in the face, and the dumb camcorder would still be in tact."

"Telephoto—" Pope jumps in, but her unamused glare shuts him up.

"So— so, what you're saying is this is all my fault?" Kiara blinks, stepping forward defensively.