vi. Home invasion.

chapter six

season one.

THE FOLLOWING MORNING is tense

THE FOLLOWING MORNING is tense. Judy and John B sit opposite one another at the dining room table eating their abandoned grilled cheeses from last night. The compass is strewn on the surface between them like an elephant in the room. But neither of them say anything.

Crickets chirp and the rooster in the front yard sings. Jude chews on a chunk of her sandwich while detaching the crust on the other half as though she's performing brain surgery. Her brother is less fussed, shoving half of the grilled cheese down in one bite.

Judy's sick and tired of the aggravation on his face. She feels like he's purposely eating quickly to go back to his room, where he won't have to endure her company any longer than necessary. He's being childish, she grumbles to herself in the back of her head.

"Aren't you going to talk to me?" Finally, the words leave her lips.

He refuses to look up. "What would you like to talk about?"

"Anything." She finishes her mouthful of cheese and bread, brushing the crumbs off her hands. "I know you're holding a grudge after last night."

"Grudge?" John B's lip curls. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"For God's sake, JB, you're acting like a little bitch!"

"Oh, I'm acting like a little bitch?"

"I went out to grab dinner and lost track of time. I'm sorry! Okay?" His sister whines, both frustrated and exhausted from the situation.

Again, he doesn't look up. He silently begins to gather littered breadcrumbs on the pad of his finger.

"I'm sorry for calling you Dad," Judy huffs. She really didn't wanna have to say it, but she will if it means he cheers the fuck up. "You were worried about me, and you're allowed to be. I'll communicate better with you next time, deal?"

Licking the crumbs off of his index finger, John B releases a heavy sigh, and finally looks up at her. The corner of his mouth twitches.

"Deal."

Mission accomplished.

Thank fuck.

"So, what's the plan for today?" She asks, at last feeling as though they can have a mundane conversation.

"I need to go and see Ms. Lana about this." John B picks up the bronze compass and flicks it open. "Dad's compass was found in Scooter's boat, she's gotta know something."