xvii. Hands I Can Hold.

chapter seventeen

season one.

"NO EFFING WAY!" Kiara paces back and forth along the length of the back porch, with complete fury possessing her darkened features

"NO EFFING WAY!" Kiara paces back and forth along the length of the back porch, with complete fury possessing her darkened features. "You brought her here? So, what? She's in on this now?"

John B's brown eyes flicker past Sarah, who's sprawled comfortably on the couch, over to the other three teens perched on an armchair. JJ is flush in the centre, with Pope on his left arm, and Judy on his right.

"Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." The blond states with an adamant finger in their direction.

Kie's head flips back around. "You know, I don't remember taking a vote. This is our thing. A Pogue thing."

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope mumbles, avoiding any and all eye contact.

"Thank you!"

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B retorts.

"I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."

"It's true," JJ confirms. "Most relaxed I've ever seen him."

"That's cute, guys."

"You know, we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her." says Kiara.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Sarah snaps.

"Then leave."

She scoffs, and meets her boyfriend's eyes. "I told you."

"Told him what, exactly?" Kie hums. "That you're a liar?"

"No, that you're a shit-talking bitch."

The two boys on Judy's left grapple over loose paper notes, whispering bets between themselves while the girls proceed to bicker and bite like two feral animals.

"Everybody shut up!" Her brother wails, silencing them all. "Kie, you are my best friend, right?" She shrugs. His eyes shift. "And Sarah, you're... you're my..."

The Cameron girl's eyes soften like molten butter. "Say it." Her gentle voice is barely audible.

"You're my girlfriend."