xxi. Champagne Problems.

chapter twenty one.

season one.

THE REMAINING MEMBERS of the group had holed themselves up at The Wreck, discussing the best option in terms of what to do with the gold

THE REMAINING MEMBERS of the group had holed themselves up at The Wreck, discussing the best option in terms of what to do with the gold. Pope had concluded that it would probably be smart for them to go down, get the rest of it, and hide it away in some sort of vault until somebody legitimate (in other words, who won't throw them under the bus) is willing to exchange it fairly.

Truthfully though, Judy couldn't give a shit about the gold. All she can think about is JJ. Wondering and worrying about where he is, if he's safe, if he's still upset, who he's with. She feels terrible. She should've gone with him. She should've stood up, taken his hand and just... walked away.

But, no. Instead she's here, curled up with her knees to her chest in a wobbly wooden chair. Wracked with anxiety, biting the nails on one hand, while discretely cradling her bruised chest with the other. Sarah and her brother decide to hit the road, offering her a ride with them, but she turns them down, because she's both mentally and physically glued to this seat.

"He'll be okay, Jude." Kiara knowingly pats her on the shoulder, placing a cup of water in front of her place setting.

Dropping the hand in her mouth, she picks it up and gulps down a significant amount, sighing at the cool relief against her dry throat.

"We pushed him away, Kie." She proceeds. "I know he makes bad decisions sometimes, but we pushed him away."

Kiara's dark eyes soften. She knows that, of course, if anybody is going to be on JJ's side, it's Judy. And not being able to do anything about it was probably really difficult for her.

"He just needs time to cool off. He'll come around, and be back to his usual chaotic self."

"But what if he doesn't?" She can't help the panic bubbling in her chest. Automatically assuming the worst.

"Take a breath, Judy," Kie grabs onto both of her shoulders. "Your paranoia is on overload."

Judy closes her eyes, and breathes. She's right. Her heart is frantically palpitating. She needs to calm down before she loses it.

"All right. I'm set if you guys are." Pope returns from the bathroom, halting momentarily in his tracks. "You both good?"

Kiara chooses not to respond, raising a single brow down at the younger Routledge, asking on her behalf more than anything.