xviii. Scooby-dooby-doo.

chapter eighteen

season one.

JUDY WILL HOLD HER HANDS UP, the plan actually worked

JUDY WILL HOLD HER HANDS UP, the plan actually worked. The girls were picked up the following day on relatively good terms, though Judy knows deep down that they're just playing about to mess with the guys, and best of all, they're willing to work together.

It's pitch black outside when the group pull up outside the Crain house in the Twinkie, bunged into the backseats like sardines in a tin, wearing the most inconspicuous items of clothing they own.

"This is so exciting. I feel like I've stepped into an episode of Scooby-Doo." Judy grins, scooping her hair up into a ponytail and securing it in place with the band around her wrist.

"Accurate. There are probably ghosts in there." JJ squirms, uncomfortable at the thought.

"Wouldn't that make us the Ghostbusters?" Pope chimes.

"Mrs Crain is still kicking. So, we have our man in the mask." says Judy.

"What? So, Mrs Crain is actually a middle aged man?" JJ frowns.

"It was a figure of speech." She laughs. "Though, who knows."

Kiara and Sarah's eyes meet, as they simultaneously shake their heads at what this conversation has become. A moment later, the door slides open to reveal John B, hood cloaking the back of his head, with his usual bandana around his neck, and a flashlight in his hand, on the other side.

"Alrighty!"

"Let's roll."

They all prepare to climb out. "Wait, wait." He stops them, and they pause. His mocha eyes fill with an overwhelming sense of fondness, as he takes them all in, having chosen to help him tonight. "I wanna thank you, guys. Seriously. It means a lot to me that you're here."

Judy's heart swells when his gaze sweeps across her. "To both of us." He adds, and she feels truly involved now. Big John was her dad as well as his, dedicating his life to hunting down this treasure. It was never just for him, or for JB, it's for all three of them. For their family.

Kiara rolls her eyes gently, with a smile. "Always."

"Of course, man." Pope extends a hand and they perform their signature handshake.

Sarah beams back at her boyfriend, with a hand settled on his sister's shoulder. Judy's head tilts back, seeking out a pair of crystal blue eyes.