xxxi. Murderer! Murderer!

chapter thirty one

season two.

THE REST OF THE SCHOOL DAY passed agonisingly slow

THE REST OF THE SCHOOL DAY passed agonisingly slow. Judy struggled to sit still, writhing in her seat, fighting the impulse to leap up and scream hallelujah! at the top of her lungs.

But she manages to contain it until the final bell rings, and she's practically skipping down the lawn to meet the others by Kiara's car.

When she arrives, JJ is perched on top of the bonnet, much to Kie's dismay, who simply rolls her eyes and twirls the set of keys around her index finger. Pope is sat on the kerb, flicking vicariously through a textbook until he notices her arrival, and shoves it back into his backpack.

"So, we going to the Bahamas, or what?" JJ hums, brushing his hands against his camo-printed cargo shorts.

"Dude, there's no way we're getting to the Bahamas." Pope scrunches up his nose.

"Yeah. I mean, do you have, like, a secret TARDIS that we don't know about? Because if so..." Judy teases, unfolding her arms. "Let's go."

"John B's gonna get nabbed sooner or later. So, if we're gonna clear his name, we're gonna need to have done it, like, yesterday." Kiara points out.

"I'll tell y'all how we do it." The blond hops down from the front of the car.

"Oh, so you have it all planned out?" Pope asks, following his every move as he circles the pavement smoothly, like an eagle, slinging his arms around Judy's neck from behind.

"As a matter of fact, I do." He smirks. "We kidnap Rafe."

"Excuse me?" Attempting to shift on her feet, Judy fails beneath his heavy frame and, instead, rotates her head to peek up at him through her lashes.

"We kidnap Rafe, tie him up and stick the gun in his mouth, and just wait 'til he starts squawkin'."

"You know torture's a war crime?" Kiara squints, appalled.

"Yeah. So, how exactly do you plan on clearing John B's name from a prison cell?" Pope retorts. "'Cause that's a felony."

"All right... well," Huffing, JJ unwraps himself to graze his palms down the sides of the girl's arms. "What do you got, Pope? I was just trying to keep it simple. You know, one stop and we're done."

Goosebumps arise on Judy's skin, causing her to instinctively blush.

"Guys, what we need is a material witness. We saw Ward's plane fly right over our heads with the gold inside of it. He didn't fly it. And if somebody else was flying it, they were there on the tarmac. They saw Peterkin get murdered." Pope theorises, naturally the brains of the operation and all that.