xi. Run Boy Run.

chapter eleven

season one.

GOING OUT ON THE BOAT the following day is not at all awkward

GOING OUT ON THE BOAT the following day is not at all awkward. (Yes, that was sarcasm), it's insanely awkward. Not to the others anyway, but between Judy and JJ, the tension is stifling. In fact they haven't exchanged a single word all morning.

Thank God they have the whole drone thing to keep them occupied. Pope is stood in front of a screen, doing some techy stuff that none of them understand. Kie is on her knees, ready to unload the pipeline. John B is in charge of co-ordinates, and JJ is behind the helm, because whether they like it or not, a storm is brewing. Which means it's up to him to ensure they don't topple over and entirely fuck up the task at hand.

Judy's not quite sure why she's there to be honest, other than the fact that it has just as much to do with her as it does her brother. Because she hasn't been assigned a specific job like the others, so she's just hovering around like a lost puppy.

"Are you sure there's nothing I can do to help?" She asks for the fifth time since leaving the shore.

"We're good, Jude. Sit tight." Her brother doesn't look up.

She huffs and cracks her knuckles. The wind sweeps her hair over her shoulder, much to her dismay. So, reluctantly, she steps under the shelter where JJ is sporting a pair of black sunglasses and a grey sweater. She won't admit it out loud, but he looks cute wearing something that isn't a revealing vest top for a change.

Not that she complains about the vest tops. His physique is great!

Which is exactly why she hates it. He's everything she wants, but can't have. Don't even get her started on those unruly fantasies that've been contaminating her brain cells recently.

It's like her uterus just loves to remind her of how much of a pathetic, sixteen year old virgin she is. 'Hahahaha, you wanna fuck your brother's best friend but you can't, so I'm going to make it as uncomfortable as fucking possible for you'. That's what she imagines it would say to her, anyway.

Receiving a hot flush in return for her sinful paranoia, Judy scoops her hair back into a messy bun on the crown of her head, securing it with the loose hair tie that's been hugging her wrist.

JJ spares a short glance over his shoulder, the normalcy on his face almost crumbling at the sight of her. Instead of saying hi, like a normal person, he simply pretends she isn't there, and turns back to look out of the front window.