The Fourth Stair

(Sorry if there's any typos my cat assistant has decided she needs attention immediately)

~Your POV~

"Did you hear the rumors?" The radio station said.

"Rumors?" Said Natsuhiko's staticky voice. 

"About the staircase by the art room. I heard that if you step on the fourth stair, you're transported to another world, never to be seen again." The radio clicked off, and Sakura's static faded from my hearing. 

Of course, I knew about Yako and her area of the school, though I had never visited her in her own realm. I figured maybe it was a sign that I should go visit her, since she was on the radio this morning. I stretched my arms out far, yawning. I still enjoyed a good nap, even if I didn't technically need to sleep. 

Hanako floated into the bathroom, with Yashiro following close behind as always. Just the sight of her nearly drove me insane. Yako knew all about boy troubles, surely I could talk to her about it.

"Y/N, we have an accident!" Hanako called for me. 

I opened the door, "What's going on?"

"Yashiro?" He gestured to her, as to let her explain the situation. 

"My friend Aoi disappeared somewhere!" She said, distressed.

"Are you sure she isn't just sick and didn't come to school?" 

"I'm sure of it! Aoi never misses school, and even so, nobody seems to remember her at all! Something's up, I know it." She sniffled, and her eyes welled with heavy tears. 

"Well, I was just on my way to visit Yako, did you guys check there?" I said.

"Yako?" Yashiro asked.

"What, you don't know about Yako? Her story was on the radio this morning. Y'know, the fourth stair on the staircase by the art room?"

"Hmm, Y/N, I think you're onto something! Let's go visit Yako!" Hanako cheered, "It's always nice to see an old friend."

I stood proudly, happy to have been given the recognition I craved so badly. 

He took Yashiro's hand and skipped happily along with her. I glared, before fixing my face and making my way along behind them. 

When we made it to the staircase, Yashiro seemed hesitant. 

"If I go in here, won't everyone forget me?" She asked. 

"Just until you come back out, then everything will be normal again!" Hanako said. 

"Oh don't be silly, some people are forgotten even if it isn't by supernatural forces. You aren't the only person in the world who's feelings matter, you know?" I stepped into the pool of strangely misplaced blood on the steps. 

As I fell into Yako's home, I suddenly realized how harsh my words were. Of course, I was right, but there were certainly better ways to say it. I looked back on my actions over the past few days, and realized I'd been extremely rude. 

I landed gracefully on the concrete ground beneath my feet. Hanako and Yashiro were close behind. 

"Y/N... is something wrong? You aren't usually so angry." Hanako looked a bit worried, but more than that, I saw pity.

"Save your guilt. I know I was mean and I apologize. I'm very sorry Yashiro, I could've said that much nicer." I looked over at Yashiro, who clearly had been crying a river. 

She wiped the wetness from her face. "It's fine." 

Suddenly, an orange haired guy, maybe Yashiro's age or a little older, dropped nearly headfirst onto the ground. 

"Who's this? I didn't realize we had any other company."

"Oh yes, we made a new friend Y/N! This is Minamoto Kou, Minamoto Teru's younger brother!"

"Nice to meet you." I held out a hand, expecting him to pass through it. 

Instead, he grabbed it firmly and shook it. I noticed scars like lightning coursing over his hands.

"You- you're an exorcist aren't you?" I finally took note of his full figure, where he held a weapon of some kind in his other hand.

"Yeah, what about it?" He dropped my hand. 

"Hey now! We don't need any more fights. Minamoto, this is my friend, and they will not hurt you. Y/N, Minamoto won't do anything to you. If he does, I'll make sure something happens to him as well~" He flashed me a mischievous grin, and it struck me to my core.

I nodded, then the phone rang.