The Confession Tree

~A few months later, Hanako's POV~

Around Valentine's day was always busy, but it was oddly silent today, until the usual radio came on. 

"Have you heard the rumors?" Sakura said as per her usual script.

"What rumors?" Natsuhiko asked.

"About the confession tree. It is said that whoever confesses their love under the mysterious tree in the courtyard will become a happy couple. A perfect gift for a day that's coming up soon." The radio clicked off, and I looked out the bathroom window. 

In fact, there was a strange new tree, fully grown in the courtyard. There was a girl underneath, seemingly waiting for someone. When a boy walked up to her, they had an inaudible conversation, then walked away hand in hand. 

There was some malicious force at hand, I knew it. Yashiro burst into the bathroom, jumping for joy. 

"Did you hear about the tree?! It's going to be so cute to see all the couples together!" 

I heard Y/N sigh from the bathroom stall. "It's too early for all the yelling," they said, coming out of the stall, yawning. 

"I did hear about the tree," I said. "but I think there's something off about it. We need to get rid of it."

"What do you mean? It seems harmless to me," Yashiro said. 

"Look at this. Who are those boys out there?" Y/N pointed to the window. 

"Akane and Yamabuki?!" Yashiro shouted. "You're right, something's definitely wrong. Akane is totally in love with Aoi!"

"But how will we get rid of it?" Y/N asked.

"Good question... I think I have an idea. Yashiro, come with me!" I said. 

We went out to the courtyard, and underneath the tree. 

"Yashiro, I have something to ask you."

"Huh? Ask away I guess."

I took off my cap, hoping to make it look more sincere. "Will you go on a date with me?"

"I- um..." She seemed at a loss for words.

'Say no' I mouthed. 

"I... I won't!" She said, and I immediately heard the tree creak and groan.

"How could you reject him?" It boomed, "He was so kind and you turn down his advances?! How cruel, your love could've been so beautiful!" It shrank, and it became nothing more than a small shrub. 

"Thanks for your help Yashiro! Can you go and get a little pot to put him in? We can give him to Aoi as a gift."

"Okay!" She ran off to somewhere.

I looked up to see Y/N at the window. I hoped for a moment they didn't think I was actually confessing to Yashiro. I knew how Yashiro felt about me of course, but I really didn't feel the same. My love to Y/N was partial, and I wouldn't change it for the world. 

(partial as in biased and singular only to Y/N not partial as in incomplete, just to clear that up)

I waved back, and Yashiro came back a moment later, flowerpot in hand.

"Thanks." I uprooted the small tree, then put it in the pot and covered it's roots in soil. It wailed something about confinement.

"Don't worry little tree, I know someone who will take good care of you." I handed it to Yashiro, and Yashiro walked off, I assumed to take it to Aoi. 

I went back to the bathroom, where Y/N was waiting for me. 

"I was nervous for a minute. I thought you were really going to confess to her." They smiled.

"I wouldn't. I don't feel for Yashiro the way I feel for you."

"Promise?"

"I swear on my life. Wait- no, maybe on my death? Oh well, you know what I'm trying to say."

We laughed and shared a hug. 

I gave them a kiss on the cheek, and I will never forget the starstruck look in their eyes.

I called that day a successful day.