Strays

(Whatever man its fluff time so y'all dont think im dead)

~Yashiro's POV~

Aoi and I were making our way home, when we both heard a quiet, strangled sound come from the nearby bushes. 

"Huh? What's that?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but it sounds hurt. Do you think we should help it?" Aoi suggested.

"Um, yeah, definitely. Here, I'll hold open the bushes and you grab it." I walked over to the bush.

"What?! Why do I have to grab it?! What if I get hurt?"

I contemplated her thought for a moment. "Well, you're better with animals. I think you should do it."

Her shoulders dropped. "Okay. Let's help whatever this is." She joined me, crouching down in front of the bushes. 

I slowly reached my hands into the bush, flinching a little when I brushed against a tiny ball of fluff. "Ah-! Okay I found it."

Aoi readied her hands , cupping them in front of the bush, ready to catch whatever was going to run out. "Ready?" I asked.

She nodded, and I slowly opened up the bush. I closed my eyes as I heard another strangled sound and rustling.

"Ugh! I caught it!" Aoi shouted. 

"What is it?" I peered over her shoulder, where she opened her hands just enough to reveal a small, gray kitten, meowing and hissing furiously.

I gasped. "It's adorable!"

"Yeah, but I think it's hurt. It was limping when it came out of the bush."

"Really? Should we take it to the vet?"

"I think so. It doesn't have a collar, so we should check and see if it's chipped and if we can find the owner."

~Later, at the vet, Yashiro's POV~

"Well, this kitten doesn't have a chip, and she's not quite old enough to get shots yet. Thanks for bringing her in, but you got very lucky that she doesn't have any diseases," The vet said, handing the tiny kitten back to me. Her back left leg was put in a cast.

"So she doesn't have an owner?" Aoi asked.

"Not that we can track. Will you be adopting her?" The vet pulled out a clipboard with adoption forms on it.

I looked over to Aoi. "Can you take care of it? I'm not sure I can."

"Well, I don't know. Do you think we can find someone who can?" Aoi looked worried, "I don't want this poor kitty to go back on the streets."

"Actually, I have an idea. Can you hold on to her for a while?" I asked the vet.

"Of course." The vet nodded, taking the kitten back into his arms.

"We'll be back as soon as we can!" I shouted to the vet before running out the door.

"Yashiro wait for me!" Aoi laughed and followed close on my heels. 

~At the same time, Your POV~

I laid back on the windowsill, letting the rays of orange fall sun grace me with heat. 

"Hanako, I'm bored." I turned to him, who was sitting on the floor below me. 

"Me too. I don't think anything has been very interesting since the eclipses." He threw his hands in the air, "And there's not much we haven't already done inside the school."

"....Yeah. So what should we do?"

"I'm not sure, Y/N."

Suddenly, the door burst open, and Mitsuba stood in the doorway, holding a baking sheet.

"Heyyy! I brought croissants guys!" He stepped into the bathroom. 

"When did you learn to make croissants?" I asked him.

"Kou taught me!" He grinned.

"Haha, you two are made for each other," I smiled.

"So do you guys want one?" He asked.

I hopped down from the windowsill, careful to avoid Hanako, who was getting up from the floor. We each grabbed a croissant, and Mitsuba sets down the tray on the sink and picks one up for himself. We all began to stuff our faces, when the door slammed open again.

Yashiro and Aoi stood in the doorway, panting.

I quickly swallowed -and nearly choked on- my bite of croissant before I asked them what happened.

"We found a kitten! Do you guys want to adopt it?" Yashiro asked.

"Huh?! You guys want us to adopt a kitten?" I said. 

"I mean, yeah, why not? We can't take care of it, so we were wondering if you all could."

I look to Mitsuba, who was just as confused as I was. Then I turned to Hanako, who seemed to be thinking about the offer.

"Well... I guess we could."

"What? We're ghosts, how are we going to take care of a little kitten?" Mitsuba asked.

"There are plenty of myths about cats being a guardian of the underworld, or something similar," Hanako explained, " and cats actually can see us. So, we could take care of it just fine. But it would have to be adopted under one of you guys' or Kou's name, since we're all pronounced dead."

"I'm sure Kou wouldn't mind us using his name, as long as he doesn't have to take care of it," Mitsuba chimed in.

"Okay, we know what to do then!" Yashiro cheered, "Now let's go talk to the vet again Aoi!"