♮12

You're on your own, kid
You always have been

No one was awake when Hayun entered her silent home, eyes wandering to the gleam of light coming from the living room

Carefully, she put her things down and headed towards the said room. Pausing by the door, she noticed her father's figure laying on the sofa.

Sometimes she'd see him here, she wondered if he fell asleep watching tv or he was waiting for her. Today was different, she noticed an old book on the coffee table.

Walking closer, her eyes caught sight of the three slightly tattered photo albums laid across the table, one opened on a page which made her throat feel constricted.

Her quiet footsteps didn't wake her father up, he looked troubled even in his sleep.

A frown settled on her lips, now standing by the sofa with her eyes grazing from his sleeping figure to the photo albums. He must've been looking through them for a while since he had fallen here.

It pained her to think about how he had to wait until he was alone to indulge in his nostalgia, he rarely expressed any emotion towards what had happened.

They were married, of course he missed her. But for some reason, it didn't cross Hayun's mind much. Maybe she was selfish to not realise the pain he felt, maybe she was too focused on her own.

He had become focused being a single father that it rarely showed that he misses the life they once had.

Even though she was young back then, her memories were vivid enough to cause knots to tightening in her stomach and her nose to start burning as tears threatened to look in her eyes.

Hayun shook her head, ridding her mind of the thoughts. Instead she took a deep breath, leaning down towards the photo album with the intention of shutting it.

She paused, hand hovering just a few centimetres away from the page as her eyes stared at the photograph.

The tension in her face softened, her chest feeling heavy and mind feeling empty all at once. Her breath was caught in her throat, in actual fact she forgot how to breathe in that moment.

Beautiful, the picture was beautiful.

It was a day at the beach, Hayun was ten. She remembered that day because moments after this picture, she slipped and cut her arm.

As she grew up, the pain of the injury wasn't all she remembered. She remembered how happy everyone was, how carefree and excited they were.

Her eyes trailed to the faint scar on her arm, a physical reminder that the day at the beach wasn't just her imagination.

Sometimes, she would dream of events which she couldn't remember if they were true or she was just making it all up. She'd wake up, confused. Her memories were old, they were unreliable but a part of her hoped they were all true.