2. THE UNFUNNY BOYFRIEND

—When Lilith grew apart from Adam, she took their son Theon and parted ways with him

[KARMA]

"IF YOU FORGET to text me Alex, I swear to god I'm driving all the way to Seacrest and I'm going to find you and kick your butt."

My best friend Alexandria who insisted on being called Alex, laughed as she placed her last bag in the car before turning to me with open arms.

"Come here, crazy."

Wrapping my arms around her, I sucked in a deep breath so I could get one last whiff of her smell while still holding back the tears that threatened to fall.

"Alex, let's go," Her mom called cheerily before getting in the car. I sighed as Alex pulled away to look down at me with a lop-sided smirk.

Thanks to her mom marrying some rich guy she met on a cruise, I was now losing my best friend of seventeen years.

Great.

There was nothing I wanted to do more than cry.

In fact, my best friend had probably been saving me from an emotional breakdown for the last two hours with her stupid ass jokes. But I swallowed it back and tried to crack a grin.

Alex is a little taller than me, standing at 5'6'' while I'm 5'3" and her brown hair was a mess of loose curls that fluffed out around her shoulders while my straightened mane had been bleached a striking platinum blonde. Now, though, I was wearing knotless braids to match. The color stood out against my warm complexion that I'd gotten from my Dads's side of the family.

She was wearing a summer dress that stopped just an inch above her knees, which I'm guessing was her mom's idea since, unlike myself, Alex wasn't one to wear dresses. She was the oversized T shirt and baggy jeans kinda girl.

"You know what, you're coming with me."

I couldn't help but burst out laughing as Alex pulled me into the car and pushed her face into the crook of my neck, wrapping her arms around me tightly.

"I can sneak you in the trunk," She offered, earning another giggle.

"Yeah, I can hold my breath for ten hours."

"I'm sorry," she sighed, "Everything was so sudden and I just... I don't want you to cry."

I smiled, "It worked."

"I'll miss you, twin" she mumbled, her earlier smirk wilting into a sad smile. The smile I returned was equally depressing.

"I'll miss you too, but don't worry I'll visit soon. I promise."

She nodded and we hugged for the last time before I climbed out of the car and closed the door, watching them drive away.

I waved frantically after her even when the car was out of sight and once I felt that I'd provided enough entertainment for the empty sidewalk, I sighed and turned to look at her old house before me.