29. THE RESCUE

—Thus, Mankind went about its daily life, unaware of the supernatural forces that lurked just a world away

Thus, Mankind went about its daily life, unaware of the supernatural forces that lurked just a world away.

[KARMA]

WARM AND QUIET, the interior of Leah's room was homey and I was hidden under a mountain of blankets but Chet's body was still surprisingly cold against mine, so much so that when I woke up, tucked up against his large frame with a firm hand caging me in, I was shivering.

"Baby," his voice was a low rumble in my ear and he pulled my body closer to his own, looking into my eyes, "You're awake."

I stared back and just for a second he let his guard down and I caught the trace of something sinister in his expression.

"Chet?"

He bit his lower lip, breaking into a smile, "Yeah?"

"You're freezing."

After a while, he answered, "I know, I'm sorry."

"Are you...?" I couldn't finish the sentence.

His gaze dropped to my neck before he looked away, "I'm fine."

"Chet-"

His eyes were gray when he looked back into my own. What could that mean?

"Karma," he said in response and I turned my face away when he dipped his head, trying to kiss me.

"Why aren't you being honest with me?"

His smile wilted almost immediately at my question and his eyes bore into mine silently, "I am."

"You aren't."

He smiled then, canines flashing as he cupped my cheek with a warm hand, "Baby, you're exhausted aren't you?"

Heat traveled up my neck in my embarrassment, knowing what he was implying with that statement. I could still feel the faint ache in my core that was a reminder of what had happened just hours earlier and I pressed my cheek against his palm, rubbing against him like a feline as I sighed out loud, "Fine, whatever you say."

His touch retreated and I felt the bed dip as he got off. When he returned, he was holding out one of the leather bound books for me to take.

"You never told me what you found in this."

Taking Leah's journal, I sat up in bed, one of the blankets pulled over my head and draped softly over my now covered body. Chet must've dressed me in one of her nightgowns after I 'passed out'.

"Well I- there isn't much information really. She was so vague in her entries- I mean, she didn't even say who this white witch was."

Chet nodded slowly as I rambled and I trailed off when he stalked over to the bed, leaned in and grabbed my face with one large hand.