17. THE WET DOG SMELL

—When Theon battled the great beast, the earth shook and the moon cried blood

[ALEX]

I HADN'T EVEN realized how late it was, or early rather, until I looked at the clock on the wall.

Five thirty in the morning.

Candy refused to let me put her down and as I yawned, she held onto me like a baby monkey while I went downstairs to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee.

My stomach growled as I opened the fridge, looking for something to eat.

"Awex?"

"Huh?"

"Can you make penkies?"

I chuckled, "Sure, I can make us some pancakes."

She bounced excitedly in my arms and I laughed, "But for me to do that you have to sit in the chair, wolf pup."

She pouted, "But I wonna hewp!"

"And you will," I said setting her down, "I'll just get everything ready then you can help with the mix, okay?"

"Otay!"

I gathered the ingredients and we got to work.

After an hour, the kitchen looked like WW3 had just occurred. There was more mix on us than in the pan and we still hadn't managed to make a single proper pancake.

The burnt, runny, dry and wet mess of failed pancakes was staring us dead in the face.

This is it. I've been defeated by the culinary Gods.

Time to throw in the apron.

"Awex, I don't think we're doin' it wight," Candy said scrunching up her cute little face and I sighed in defeat.

"Yeah... I'll just make us sandwiches. You like peanut butter and jelly, right?"

"Yeah!"

I grinned and made her wash her hands before getting the sliced bread and spreading creamy peanut butter and strawberry jelly on individual slices. I gave Candy her sandwich and a glass of milk while I poured a glass of orange juice for myself, deciding not to bother with coffee. She frowned down at her sandwich and I took a bite of my own double decker before asking, "What's wrong?"

"I don't wike mines wif the eggies on 'em," She said quietly.

"Huh...? Oh!" I chuckled and got a knife, cutting off the edges of her sandwich, "Better?"

She nodded before taking a huge bite and at the same moment Mom walked in.

"What in the world...?" She asked doing a 360° spin as she looked around the messy kitchen.