19. THE VAMPIRE

—The shaman nursed Theon back to life and was imbued with the moon's power, her abilities multiplied tenfold and her bloodline produced the first of witches

[KARMA]

TYLER AND I stepped out of the car, meeting up with Ashton and Kaitlyn at the entrance, and I tried not to stare at him as we scanned the list of movies playing and their times.

Kaitlyn wanted to see Julie's Angles again, but I thought better of it since there would probably be middle schoolers in there and I hate watching movies with noisy kids.

"C'mon," Kaitlyn pouted, "it'll probably be empty, that movie's been out for like, forever."

"Nope," I held up four fingers at the ticket booth, "Van Helsing 3, please."

She rolled her eyes dramatically and smiled before turning to Tyler, "It would be funny to get a real vampires take on Van Helsing. I bet they'd die of cringe."

Tyler's chuckle was deep, and Ashton wrapped his arm around Kait's shoulder, pulling her close and stealing her attention away from Tyler who seemed pleased. I was about to pay for the tickets when Tyler's cold hand touched mine and he was passing money to the young cashier.

"But I asked you..." I trailed off and he only smiled, taking his change.

"It's fine, you can get the snacks if you want."

God, could this seem any more like a date?

"I've been dying to watch a movie that's actually scary," Kait was practically hopping in place.

"It's not scary." I cut her off.
I mean, it's not?

We bought our snacks at the kiosk and headed inside the dark seating area, sitting in the middle section. There were a few people already seated at the back and an older couple cosying up at the front.

Kaitlyn and I were sandwiched by the two boys and I turned my attention to my phone to avoid any awkwardness as Kaitlyn and Ashton whispered low under their breath to each other beside me.

Still no messages or anything from Chet. That was weird, really weird. I sent him a few messages, but his phone seemed to be off. I sighed, placing my own back into my pocket as the trailers ran on.

I'd avoided looking over in Tyler's direction so far but now he was moving beside me, to get comfortable, I suppose.

I nibbled on a bit of popcorn, trying to focus on the screen before me.

A few minutes later, I noticed Kaitlyn and Ashton were closer than they'd been earlier, and as if that wasn't enough to make me nauseous, her head was resting on his shoulder.

Did I dare to look over at Tyler?

The clearing of his throat caused me to look at him and then away instantly, feeling my heart begin to thud in my chest at the glint in his eyes.