23. THE MIRACLE

—Rumors spread of a forbidden ritual—the "Bloodmoon Rite" to reverse Surya's curse

[KARMA]

I WAS DRAGGED back to the house by my hair, kicking and screaming the whole way.

Once we were back inside, Tyler made a show of locking the bedroom door, putting the key into his pocket and turning to dump me on the bed.

"You know- I'm really getting excited now at the prospects of having you around."

Pushing my braids over my shoulder, made heavy by the rain, I huffed in Tyler's direction, "You fucking monster! Let me go."

"Maybe I'll just save myself the trouble and bleed you dry. I need to replenish all the essence you caused me to lose just now anyway."

I watched as he started shrugging out of his jacket, keeping eye contact all the same as he began to make his way over to the bed.

My lower lip quivered and I pressed my back against the wall, "Stop!"

He was before me in an instant, grabbing my face with one hand and turning my head to expose my neck. My pulse was racing a mile a minute.

As he leaned in, fangs extended, he must have heard a sound from somewhere outside because he stopped immediately, waiting a few beats before his head snapped in the direction where the sounds were coming from.

My eyes widened and his followed the sound towards the front of the house before it stopped. I saw Tyler's eyes glow a fierce red as his fangs retracted and he let me go, forcefully pulling the door open and leaving the room.

Could this be it? Did someone come to save me?

After a few seconds ticked off, and with no sign of Tyler returning, I exited the room, moving slowly down the hallway as I pressed my back to the wall.

I was about to poke my head into the kitchen when something flew across the room, crashing into the wall across from me with so much force that the entire house shook on impact. The wall broke open and sent dust and debris flying into the air.

Almost immediately, I saw Tyler appear behind the hole in the wall before he was knocked backward by something. This was all happening so fast that it didn't even seem real.

I watched as the two figures swung at each other, landing blows and coming dangerously close to where I stood.

Backing up hurriedly, I started to make my way back down the hallway but one of the bodies crashed into the wall next to me, throwing up more dust and leaving me shrieking as I somehow managed to avoid getting crushed.

I made it to the bedroom again and locked the door after me then crouched down behind the bed.

Oh, how the tables have turned. The room I wanted so badly to escape just minutes ago, suddenly became my refuge.