4. THE UNINVITED GUEST

—Of all Eve's children, Cain and Abel were the first

—Of all Eve's children, Cain and Abel were the first. Cain was strong and corageous while Abel was known far and wide for his beauty.

[KARMA]

"DID YOU TWO have a fight?" Kaitlyn asked as soon as she saw my sour expression and I groaned.

As she entered the car with Ashton following right after, I turned up the volume on the stereo, singing under my breath and ignoring any further comments.

"I'm about to make out with Ash-ton~" she continued in a singsong voice and I rolled my eyes but said nothing.

"Yup, they're totally fighting."

I heard her giggle after a second and I turned the volume up even louder. Chet was quiet beside me and I pressed my forehead to the chilly glass, humming low in my throat.

It was total agony not being able to say anything to him and after about an hour I wondered if it was silly to be upset. I couldn't even remember why I was so pissed off in the first place but my ego wouldn't allow me to say anything.

Eventually, I managed to doze off.

After some time I felt someone poke my cheek and I opened my eyes, looking around to see that we'd arrived. Kait and Ashton were already out of the car. I saw them standing by the front door talking animatedly about something and then I finally let my gaze land on Chet.

He looked so darn adorable with his brows furrowed and his curls falling over his forehead again, his lower lip tucked between his teeth– a sign that he was nervous.

"Hey," he breathed and I looked away from him, pushing the door open and getting out of the car.

"Baby-" he also got out, hurrying to get in front of me as he placed a hand on my arm, "Hey, can you please look at me?"

I looked up at him, my heart starting to beat a strange rhythm in my chest, "Why do you always do that?"

"Do what?" I watched his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed, stuffing his hands into his front pockets.

"You know what you do. Every time I try to kiss you or even-"

"It's complicated," He cut me off.

"People always say that and it's never as complicated as they make it out to be," I argued, placing my hands on my hips, "So explain."

"I..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his head and I rolled my eyes for the hundredth time that day, stepping around him and heading inside.

I didn't even say goodnight to Ashton.

I was just so sick of feeling rejected. I mean, what kind of guy doesn't want to even kiss their girlfriend properly? I couldn't help but think that he found me repulsive and I was just a placeholder for someone better. The idea made me feel even more upset.