24. THE JOURNAL

—The Children of Theon forged an unholy covenant with witches, The Lunar Pact; to protect the delicate balance between dark and light

[KARMA]

WE MADE THE short walk back to the house that looked like it was on its last breath.

Sunlight was just beginning to peek over the tops of the trees after I ate 'breakfast' and we decided to spend the day in the one place that still managed to have all four walls intact and hole-free; Leah's room.

Chet looked uncomfortable as he sat by the bedside, looking around the room and I was staring at him, wondering what was going on in his head.

It was such an uncanny feeling, to have my boyfriend by my side but to feel like he was a stranger. When he was talking earlier, he sounded nothing like himself.

He turned his head to look at me when I touched his shoulder.

"Wanna cuddle?"

He looked away then and I saw him lick his lips, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

His shoulders slumped, "I just... it's too much."

I tilted my head to the side, "What's too much?"

He sighed then and turned to me, grabbing my hands and looking into my eyes.

"I tasted your blood," My cheeks heated up in embarrassment and I felt his grip tighten, "Now that's all I can think about."

I swallowed, trying to wash down the lump in my throat and I didn't fail to notice the subtle way his eyes tracked the movement, trained on my neck.

"You're okay," I urged, wrapping my arms around him and holding him close to my body.

His arms surrounded my waist and after a few seconds he was laying me down, looking into my eyes with an expression of complete admiration.

"Fine, we can cuddle."

A grin spread across my cheeks, "Yes!"

Shaking his head, he leaned in to rub the tip of his nose with mine, whispering against my lips.

"You're so beautiful, Leah."

It took moment for me to realize what he'd said and when I did, the smile immediately melted off my face.

Chet's expression was unreadable at first before it morphed into one of confusion- and shock soon after, "Karma I-"

I didn't know what to say.

Why did he call me by her name?

"I don't..." He mumbled to himself, looking beyond confused as he was sliding off me and making his way across the room.